KPTS - Error on sectional?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I'll be flying into KPTS for one stop on my 3-leg PP solo. The sectional (current) symbol shows 'no fuel/service', but the A/FD (current) and other sources say otherwise.

Rather than call just to verify, I figgered I'd ask here ( I thought I had run accross somebody in the past that is based at PTS), the sectional is wrong, isn't it? Or have there been some last minute changes?

Matt

KPTS is my home airport, we have fuel services. When are you coming in i could come out and meet you

I'll be out there with my CFI for a dual XC tomorrow (30 july) afternoon sometime, about 1630-1730 depending on when we get started from OJC. I expect it will be a short stop, but I'm not sure. My CFI doesn't get back from OSH until either tonight or tomorrow morning, so I can't check.

I'm scheduled to be out there again (3 sep) for my 3-leg solo XC.

I think I remember a post some time ago about PTS - some radio calls with 'Pittsburg', some with 'Atkinson', and some with 'Pittsburg/Atkinson'. I've been trained on the 'long way', but I'll be paying attention.

Thanks,
Matt

What will you be flying? I may be around there also. Just FYI Runways 3-21 and 10-28 are closed for construction. 16-34 is our active and is over 5K long with good app. Hope you enjoy PTS our people will take good care of your needs.

The locals refer to PTS as Pittsburg, Most others Atkinson, The airport will answer eitherone on 123.0. Your new chart does show our AWOS?

Jim

Yes, the current sectional (9 jun 05) has the AWOS (118.775).

Funny about the runway closings, one of the lessons on this flight was 'selecting proper runway at a non-towered airport'.

This seems to be the season for runway closures. New Century (IXD), right next door has closed its main runway until Nov, Downtown Kansas City (MKC) has done the same.

I'll be in a Warrior III.

Matt

I will hopefully see you there you did say around 12:30 or 1 p.m correct.

Always call if you will really need fuel. Don't ask me how I know that.:no: The AFD is more up-to-date than a sectional but things can change and there are temporary things like out-of-gas or broken pumps. Or the only person on the field is out flying a lesson.

Sorry about the times (I said 1630-1730) I was thinking local, typing Z, spilling coffee, and answering the phone all at the same time.

I should be out there around 4:30p - 5:30p local time (1930Z-2030Z). Depending on pre-flight/pre-flight briefing/flight planning/...

I plan on calling ahead anyway, it's good practice.

Matt

ahhh!!! i am going out of town at 3:30, heading to watch a golf tournament in Wichita, and what is even worse is that we are driving!!

Made it down and back - nice flight.

PTS was nice and quiet - I'm so used to OJC, I've heard it's the 2nd busiest airport in the state, that just about anyplace else seems sleepy.

Lessons learned on my first cross country - don't pick landmarks ON the route, pick them NEXT to the route. Probably not a good idea to navigate by deciding you must be on course because you can't see the checkpoints.

The ag-planes were busy at PTS Saturday afternoon. Another lesson learned - when those guys are working, keep a good lookout. They weren't making calls and were taking off 34 and dropping over the trees NE of the field. They'd then pop back over the trees and land 16. They did this about every 10 minutes.

I was getting ready to depart 34, and took one last look just before I turned onto the runway. One of the ag-guys decided to come back in (16) to reload. He pulled to the far corner of the end of 34 so I could squeeze by and get out of there before his buddy got back.

I stayed long enough for fuel, soda, a call or two to FSS, a chat with the guy behind the counter, and to wave at the kid on the front porch bench who was waving at me.

All in all, my best day of flying so far.

Back