KPFN

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
So, I am trying to find a map-view of the new Panama City airport - usually airnav. or at least googlemaps will have it (its now KECP) but no joy - maybe too new? It's nice to have a visual of the surrounding area before you go; might have to do it the old fashioned way. Anyone gots?

@ $6.42/gal (today) I doubt I'll be interested in visiting.

Thanks, fuel is not the issue - its not my card! Whassa place look like is!
Photo on airnav shows it hanging over into the water...NW side of the bay? No chart here right now.

Thanks, fuel is not the issue - its not my card! Whassa place look like is!
Photo on airnav shows it hanging over into the water...NW side of the bay? No chart here right now.

It's a 10,000' x 150' paved strip carved out of the middle of a swamp

(and billed as "America's First Green Airport")

http://newpcairport.com/airport-relocation/

(which not every one agrees)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTJm4rikFAs

It shouldn't be too hard to spot.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=30.358240972,-85.795603389&chart=34&zoom=3

Last edited:
The location of it is complete crap.

So, I am trying to find a map-view of the new Panama City airport - usually airnav. or at least googlemaps will have it (its now KECP) but no joy - maybe too new? It's nice to have a visual of the surrounding area before you go; might have to do it the old fashioned way. Anyone gots?

I don't think you will miss it provided you are VMC

Attachments

• ECP.jpg
    ECP.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 43
Wow that is so far from any place that you might wonder what town it was intended to serve. Sort of like Bergstrom and Austin; Mueller was such a gem.

Believe me, very few pilots wanted it. The locals actually had a group fighting against it at every meeting. Nobody listens to those that don't have the money behind them.

ECP is in the middle of nowhere because it was designed to serve both Destin, Panama City and the surrounding cities to the north. They're hoping the city will expand to the north more as well. They bought that land from St. Joe timberland company and IIRC got some sort of raw deal out of it. They fully knew it was wetlands. Guess they can't really turn back now though...and they wouldn't anyways. I just wish they would have left PFN open for GA.

Well, ecp is at the moment a sad and lonely airport with a grievous start (ref. the politics that caused the move - which is hardly over, btw). Miles from any town, surrounded by bush and water - I found it somewhat lacking in personality. Also, it seems they rushed everyone over there without even completing the FBO building - they are working out of a portable building right now and we had a near collision with 2 of the many construction trucks racing about the (car) parking area. Despite all this, the FBO staff is friendly and helpful (although I doubt anyone will ever match Tristan's mom for the cheerful customer service, which we enjoyed at PFN!)
The one hopeful thing about the place is they are still permitting a banner operator to work off the field. Have to wonder how long that will last. There were also several light a/c in the vicinity so they have not sent all of 'small-guy' GA packing.

Aww thanks Dave! I'm sure she appreciates the compliments! She misses KPFN...and so do we.

Last edited:
How I enjoyed calling in, "Northwest Florida Beaches International Tower......" jeez! Worse than "Rocky Mountain Metropolitan".

I haven't flown in and out of there yet but I wonder if "Panama City Tower" would suffice. NWBT is way too long and annoying.

I say it just to emphasize how ridiculous it is. (gentle pressure to consider an alternative) People were using P.C. tower and they still use Jeffco over at......Jeffco.
Naturally, over time people will find an easier way.

Back