Kowbell 2012

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well this year is the 50th anniversary of the Kansas Kowbell Klassic. Full moon was just a day or two ago so this Saturday the 7th is the day. I'll be stepping back down to the Cherokee this year, because Kowbell will be the first leg on my trip to the 13.5 meter super regional contest in Midlothian, TX. It looks like the wind is supposed to let up which should allow a flight somewhat south. I think I might be the only wooden glider flying this year so I guess I won't have to worry about losing my lead for the Wooden Wings trophy. I think Steve will be flying his 25.5 meter wingspan Nimbus III which means either he's going to need some really bad luck or I'm going to need some really good luck if I want to have a chance to win.

Good luck with the Kansas winds. Any off-the-wall-crazy distance prediction?

the forecast is looking to me to be very similar or maybe even better than last year. Winning distance last year was something like 428 miles, from Sunflower to Santa Rosa, NM. I'll be gunning for a 200+ mile flight in the Cherokee. Last year I flew the NG-1 and made it 210 but took off late.

weather is looking great, i'm declaring Dalhart, TX

I ended up getting 242 miles and we're now on our way to Midlothian for the 13.5 meter contest. I was 5th of 9. Here is a map of where everyone landed. At the moment I still haven't heard a landing location for one of the pilots. It was an awesome day!

http://goo.gl/maps/hZB9

My flight: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=2541141
Well done! :thumbsup:
I have a question about the OLC page: The initial climb shown is the tow, right? Did you really get off at over 3000 meters? :confused:

no the very short grey part is the tow, i towed to 2000 AGL, 3500 MSL and caught a quick climb to 10,000 feet. Should've taken off sooner!

Back