Kowbell 2011

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well last saturday was our annual Kowbell Klassic free distance glider contest. Whoever lands furthest away from home wins. I took the NG-1 out, the soaring conditions were great with an average (!) of 4.3 knots climb over the nearly 5 hour flight. I was able to be pretty comfortable running usually at about 80, sometimes as high as 90 mph between thermals. I got my circling % down to an all time low of 33%. Usually my flights are more like 45 or 50. I ended up landing at Guymon, OK for 216 miles. A good flight, although I was hoping for another 100 miles and Diamond Distance. Unfortunately I ended up with a late start. I actually launched first, as soon as I thought there were going to be thermals. Unfortunately I was a touch early and after 1/2 hour had to land. This put me at the back of the line to takeoff. The other wood gliders in the contest, two Ka-6's, did the same thing so the lowest performance ships ended up being last to take off. The Ka-6's both made Hooker, OK for Gold Distance (300 km). We all met in Liberal, KS on the way home for supper, which was nice.

Here is my flight:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=925023128

and a map of where everyone landed:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...l=36.835668,-101.239014&spn=5.398024,9.074707

Apparently you need a Nimbus. ;)

yea i keep telling Leah that. Steve's nimbus is pretty bad to the bone. 25.5 meter wingspan, can carry the empty weight of my Cherokee II in water ballast.

yea i keep telling Leah that. Steve's nimbus is pretty bad to the bone. 25.5 meter wingspan, can carry the empty weight of my Cherokee II in water ballast.

Long wings actually cut down on available landing areas. Not a lot of open fields out here, and 50 or 60 ft wide runways with lights are not fun with 25 meter wings.

yea but with the long wings you can make it to the wide runway :)

lots of big fields around here for landing out with big wings. even many airports where putting a 15 meter ship would be exciting. 50 ft wide runway with lights at the edges doesn't leave a whole lot of margin for error

Apparently you need a Nimbus. ;)
Nimbus 2000? Screw that. I'll take the Firebolt.
Not only is it the fastest model (made of ash and birch twigs, with a diamond hard finish), but it comes equipped with an unbreakable Braking Charm.

Nimbus 2000? Screw that. I'll take the Firebolt.
Not only is it the fastest model (made of ash and birch twigs, with a diamond hard finish), but it comes equipped with an unbreakable Braking Charm.

nah...

P9020021.JPG

4885_600.jpg

Plus, it's sort of an ultralight, with no endorsement or additional training required. Take that, Muggle.

4885_600.jpg

Plus, it's sort of an ultralight, with no endorsement or additional training required. Take that, Muggle.

Really needs some high aspect wings. I just don't see that thing having a very good power off L/D :)

Really needs some high aspect wings. I just don't see that thing having a very good power off L/D :)
Strapping a pair of high aspect wings on that puppy would negatively affect the safety of everyone else on the Quidditch pitch.

Back