Koolscoop repair

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
1/4" crack propagating near an angle in the scoop.
Can drill stop with plexi bit.
What about a scab patch? I have lexan and acrylic sheet, how about pvc cement? What can be used? What is best to repair with?

some are saying just wet with acetone to soften, hold pieces together and they will 'self-weld' when the acetone dries. Might be more reasonable for a small unimportant job like this. Wonder if lacquer thinner or MEK would do the same.

Methylene Chloride is the solvent for bonding plexiglas.

Last edited:
just replace the part - it's cheap

ya, I did consider it. I am more of a repair than replace person I guess. 30$

Besides, the thought of stirring a steaming vat of methylene chloride in the shop is veeerry appealing! I have...chlorine pucks from the swimming pool. Methyl alcohol! Just need to figure that double bond without an explosion or atf people running about and I'm golden!

The nice thing about the methylene chloride is that it will run in the crack and virtually make it disappear.

ya, I did consider it. I am more of a repair than replace person I guess. 30$

Besides, the thought of stirring a steaming vat of methylene chloride in the shop is veeerry appealing! I have...chlorine pucks from the swimming pool. Methyl alcohol! Just need to figure that double bond without an explosion or atf people running about and I'm golden!

I think I bought a new scoop in March and the guy in Arizona gave me sh*t about buying it so early in the season. Pretty funny. Those folks are okay.

Watch the chemistry...sounds like a respirator may be a good idea...and a cold solution...

Stop drill the crack, get a piece of whatever diameter acrylic rod you drilled your hole to. Chamfer the crack at 45degrees the length of the crack, almost the entire thickness. Cut a 1 inch section of the rod, dip it in Cement PS-30 or Weld-On 40, shove it in the stop drill, then fill the chamfer in with Cement PS-30 or Weld-On 40, wait a couple days. then use micro mesh and sand for a couple of days. Its a very labor intensive project.

Stop drill the crack, get a piece of whatever diameter acrylic rod you drilled your hole to. Chamfer the crack at 45degrees the length of the crack, almost the entire thickness. Cut a 1 inch section of the rod, dip it in Cement PS-30 or Weld-On 40, shove it in the stop drill, then fill the chamfer in with Cement PS-30 or Weld-On 40, wait a couple days. then use micro mesh and sand for a couple of days. Its a very labor intensive project.

sorta makes $30 a bargain...

The nice thing about the methylene chloride is that it will run in the crack and virtually make it disappear.

Wracking my brain trying to remember where I've seen MC - paint stripper!
The scab patch took 5 minutes and is drying now. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back