Knowns; what exactly are they?

Skysailor

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skysailor
Could someone please explain what a Known Sequence is, to me? I'd see these diagrams in Sport Aerobtics magazine from EAA back when I was able to afford a subscription. I just don't understand the term.

Skysailor said:
Could someone please explain what a Known Sequence is, to me? I'd see these diagrams in Sport Aerobtics magazine from EAA back when I was able to afford a subscription. I just don't understand the term.

The pilot is handed the sequence well in advance, as compared to having the sequence distributed immediately prior or the pilot created the sequence in advance.

Ed Guthrie said:
The pilot is handed the sequence well in advance, as compared to having the sequence distributed immediately prior or the pilot created the sequence in advance.

Exactly. There are three types of aerobatic sequences. The know, the unknown, and the free. (Well, four if you count what I fly which is the unknown known).

The know is published by the IAC before the season starts and everyone has a chance to practice and practice and practice.
The free is developed by the pilot him/herself and generally emphasizes the maneuvers that pilot is good at flying. It must be an approved sequence following the rules of how sequences can be put together.
The unknown is handed out at the contest and the pilot gets to try to figure out what the heck is going on and how to fly it in short order. There are lots of rules about what maneuvers are allowed, how difficult they can be, how they can be combined, etc.

The unknown known (my specialty) is when a pilot flies the known sequence but the flight doesn't really resemble the sequence at all. Everyone on the ground is left scratching their heads wondering if they have the wrong card.

gibbons said:
Exactly. There are three types of aerobatic sequences. The know, the unknown, and the free. (Well, four if you count what I fly which is the unknown known).

The know is published by the IAC before the season starts and everyone has a chance to practice and practice and practice.
The free is developed by the pilot him/herself and generally emphasizes the maneuvers that pilot is good at flying. It must be an approved sequence following the rules of how sequences can be put together.
The unknown is handed out at the contest and the pilot gets to try to figure out what the heck is going on and how to fly it in short order. There are lots of rules about what maneuvers are allowed, how difficult they can be, how they can be combined, etc.

The unknown known (my specialty) is when a pilot flies the known sequence but the flight doesn't really resemble the sequence at all. Everyone on the ground is left scratching their heads wondering if they have the wrong card.

The unknown known...that's too funny. Does a loop with inadvertant 45* change of heading and skid at the top count?

Richard said:
The unknown known...that's too funny. Does a loop with inadvertant 45* change of heading and skid at the top count?
Yep. That would do it. Also, flying a loop in place of a half-Cuban, or a reverse half Cuban in place of a Goldfish, or........ you get the idea.

Thank yeh, everybody! :) Now I am in the know about knowns.

There's a tongue-twister... :)

Back