Knots2u HID Landing Light

AirBaker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
AirBaker
Last night I was able to test out the new knots2u HID landing light. Pretty impressive. Makes the second (larger) landing light on my nose gear seem dim.

Can be left on all the time, doesn't require much power, and runs pretty cool.

what is the current draw for these? do they make position lights too?

Us guys with no alternators/generators are always on the lookout for stuff we can run on batteries.

tonycondon said:
what is the current draw for these? do they make position lights too?

Us guys with no alternators/generators are always on the lookout for stuff we can run on batteries.

http://knots2u.com/HID Light.htm

Quit respectable on the current draw. For HID the draw is usually much less for the same candle power as compared to halogen

interesting. itd be great if they were making position lights and strobes with the same low draw, and with a lower price.

$550 is pretty low for HID. I have a 10Watt HID diving light that ran me over $1k,
Helios_45_140.jpg

It has been 4 years since I bought and now it is only just under $900

Im thinking about this stuff along lines for my glider or matt's flybaby. of course i wont really need position lights or landing light for flying glider in iowa, although night gliding is pretty cool i bet. some strobes would be nice. As far as the prices, I have this bad habit of comparing it to the purchase cost of the glider, and that just makes it ridiculous. more than 10% for a light is kinda high. i could take 50,000 feet worth of tows for that, and buy gas for lots of retrieves.

tonycondon said:
Im thinking about this stuff along lines for my glider or matt's flybaby. of course i wont really need position lights or landing light for flying glider in iowa, although night gliding is pretty cool i bet. some strobes would be nice. As far as the prices, I have this bad habit of comparing it to the purchase cost of the glider, and that just makes it ridiculous. more than 10% for a light is kinda high. i could take 50,000 feet worth of tows for that, and buy gas for lots of retrieves.

HID is the most efficient candidate for high luminance requirements like landing and taxi lights, but for position lights today's high output LEDs are a much better choice. Much of the cost, weight and space requirement of a HID setup is present whether you have a 1 W or 100 W lamp. BTW, HID lamps and strobelamps use the same basic technology, just different configurations.

Tony, I looked at HIDs for my plane before I settled on the $8 NAPA halogen with the $0.50 aluminum adapter plate.

Since your looking at an "experimental" application you might want to take a look at this guy's offerings (RV'er)

http://www.duckworksaviation.com/

You can get the lamp and ballast for around $380 if his prices are still current.

You can get HIDs from off-road suppliers for less, too. There is some info on what's available and caveats at

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

The main thing I believe is you want the style that has the integral ballast in the bulb socket, otherwise you'll have a high voltage cable (23kV) running to the fixture.

tonycondon said:

Back