Knee injury and medical certification

U

Unregistered

My medical is expiring soon and I had a pretty good tear of my Lateral Collateral Ligament back in October. I self grounded when I couldn't walk or bear much weight on the affected leg, but I was back in the cockpit in November when I felt I could have full authority on the rudder/brakes (which I did). No medications or further treatment besides home excercises were prescribed and my knee has been SLOWLY returning to 100%. My knee isn't quite 100% and I walk with a slight limp at the end of the day, but there is no issue bearing weight and/or with my range of motion. No diagnostic testing was done except for an X-Ray which was negative for fracture and dislocation. Will I need to get anything from my doc or physical therapist about this for my medical?

Nope. "Manifest physical therapy recovery from ligamentous injury" would do it, at my place.....

Had arthroscopic knee surgery mid-2010. Reported it as such, no one asked any further questions.

On the other hand, if you're taking synthroid, be ready for some really trivial but incredibly annoying &^%&% requirements from FAA Medical.

Had arthroscopic knee surgery mid-2010. Reported it as such, no one asked any further questions.

Same thing. I destroyed my knee in 2005. Almost no cartilage, no ACL, degenerative things going on. The Doc wanted to see me bear weight and move, asked if I could push rudder pedals.
He said if I can walk and get into the plane, then I can apply enough force to manage the rudder.

ALSO: Take Doc Bruce's exact verbiage and ask your AME to use that exact wording.

Knee surgery and 2 back surgeries and they have never caused an issue even with a First Class medical. I've reported to the AME with a limp or other temporary issue several times and again, no problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back