KMYF or KCRQ?

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
Intending to fly down to that area tomorrow to visit my cousin in Carlsbad. KMYF is about 10m south of his house, KCRQ about the same distance north.

Any reason to pick one over the other? (say, FBOs)

Also, planning to avoid the whole LAX Bravo issue by flying east of it... but for those of you who fly that airspace, how difficult is it really to cross it? I found the LA special rules route that seems to pass right over LAX and it appears fairly simple if I can fly in a straight line and squawk 1201.

On the myf ,crq question. I usually stop at crq on my way up and down the coast. However the last time I stopped at myf,they have a brand new facility,with crew car. The av gas was a few cents cheaper and the hotels have shuttle service. Found the help to be friendlier than grand strand. Grand strand seems to take you for granted. Try MYF.

On the myf ,crq question. I usually stop at crq on my way up and down the coast. However the last time I stopped at myf,they have a brand new facility,with crew car. The av gas was a few cents cheaper and the hotels have shuttle service. Found the help to be friendlier than grand strand. Grand strand seems to take you for granted. Try MYF.

Thank you. Which FBO had the new facility? Gibbs or Crown Air?

I think there's only one,not sure sorry.

CRQ. Less hassle with the Class B. Easy parking at the base of the tower next to the parking lot. Less traffic driving south out of there than north out of MYF.

Not sure where you are coming from, but LAX special flight rules corridor is simple enough for me a new pilot, so it should not be a problem.
3500ft south bound on the 132 radial from SMO, make lots of calls on the open frequency and keep your eye open for traffic, not everyone talks.

If you fly out to the east, over Chino and Ontario you are below the LAX class B shelf, get flight following from SoCal and they are nice helpful blokes.

Palomar is fun to fly into, and you avoid the class B for San Diego completely.

The few times I have been to Montgomery and (or) El Cajon SoCal has asked if I wanted class B transition and got it for me.

I go inland on the way down and back up along the coast, there is another transition over lax (shoreline) which has you over the departure ends or 24/25 at between 5000 and 6500 and for that you stay on with SoCal to get clearance for this

Last edited:
I think you will like OCN better than either of the other two. Your basic small town airport without all of the "I'm a corporate jet, get out of my way" of the other two.

Got my commercial at MYF and my instrument at CRQ about forty years ago but OCN is still my choice.

If you want a REAL nice airport for a half-hour drive, try RMN about ten miles to the east.

The VFR corridor directly over LAX is a real nice way to transit the area and pretty easy to fly.

Jim

Thank you. Which FBO had the new facility? Gibbs or Crown Air?
If you go to MYF, go to Gibbs, but coming from the North, I'd suspect CRQ would be easier to get in/out. If the weather is good VFR, MYF can get VERY busy.

If you are going to Carlsbad then why aren't you flying into Carlsbad?

I"m not snarking here - its just that why would you over fly your destination to fly further away and take more time to get to the final destination. Moreover, CRQ is a real simple in and out and Class B issues at all -

Gibbs at MYF is great, and the Bravo is easy to deal with. Great controllers out there

If you are going to Carlsbad then why aren't you flying into Carlsbad?

I"m not snarking here - its just that why would you over fly your destination to fly further away and take more time to get to the final destination. Moreover, CRQ is a real simple in and out and Class B issues at all -
Zactly. I love MYF, but in your case I just don't see much value in flying there, unless you want to eat at the restaurant.

CRQ, you'll fly less distance, avoid the San Diego Bravo, and deal with less traffic on the ground.

LAX class B transition is easy.From the Bay Area fly direct GMN->VNY->SLI->OCN at 9500'. VNY->SLI is Coliseum route. It puts you pretty close to IFR route GMN->LHS->V459->SLI->V23->MZB. Added bonus is a great views to Los Angeles if its not too hazy.
I never landed at CRQ but Gibbs at MYF is a top notch FBO. If you decide to go to MYF from OCN fly direct VPSMS(Mt Soledad) and from there direct MYF.
Back to the Bay Area is similar - 8500' and reverse course OCN->SLI->VNY->GMN.
Good luck and enjoy SoCal.

I think you will like OCN better than either of the other two. Your basic small town airport without all of the "I'm a corporate jet, get out of my way" of the other two.

Got my commercial at MYF and my instrument at CRQ about forty years ago but OCN is still my choice.

If you want a REAL nice airport for a half-hour drive, try RMN about ten miles to the east.

The VFR corridor directly over LAX is a real nice way to transit the area and pretty easy to fly.

Jim

Yeah if you hate corporate jets you probably love Oceanside "land on runway jumpers " :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back