KMPV RNAV 35

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
Could someone with a GNS430 or GTN650/750 please check this approach in their database and compare it to the most recent version of the approach as it is found in ForeFlight, or e.g. here?

I loaded this approach this evening in my GNS480, which has the current cycle in its database, and found that it had waypoints like DAVID and ZIECH that are not on the new version of the plate. I was IFR at the time and had to withdraw my request for the approach and ask ZBW for the VOR 35 instead. I'm not sure whether the new RNAV 35 approach just didn't make it into the Jeppesen database or whether this is specific to the release for the 480. The RNAV 17 is up to date and the VOR 35 seemed to be just fine.

I'm also not sure how to contact Jeppesen to let them know about the problem.

ZEICH and DAVID are reporting points along V151 between LEB to MPV which appears to also be the leg from LEB and XIMKY.

The 480 frequently has extra fixes for the transitions and such in the database.

Where do these fixes show up in the flight plan? DAVID used to be an IAF but they moved it back to LEB.

Last edited:
ZEICH and DAVID are reporting points along V151 between LEB to MPV which appears to also be the leg from LEB and XIMKY.

The 480 frequently has extra fixes for the transitions and such in the database.

Where do these fixes show up in the flight plan? DAVID used to be an IAF but they moved it back to LEB.
Yep, you guessed it. I didn't scroll down far enough. The problem was that I had V151 in my flight plan, which has LEB as a waypoint. Of course it was also my chosen transition, but I didn't look hard enough at the modified plan to notice that LEB was without the little "i" in back that marks it as the IAF (which should have been the giveaway). Further down, past MPV, was (LEB i) and then XIMKY, UFERA, and the rest of the new approach.

I checked it out earlier this morning but was pretty sure that was it after I realized that ZIECH was *before* DAVID on V151, and therefore couldn't be part of the old approach, which had DAVID as a NoPT transition.

In short, I was an idiot. :redface:

Glad you posted. I don't fly enough IMC with the 400, and now that I read this, I will totally watch out for it!

Glad you posted. I don't fly enough IMC with the 400, and now that I read this, I will totally watch out for it!
I'm not familiar with the 400, but if it's an offshoot or ancestor of the 430/530 series then it's very different from the 480. I actually forget now how the 430 series handles approaches but I don't think it writes them over the last leg of the flight plan, does it? The 480 does, leaves the rest of the plan intact even if it would mean backing up to start the approach, and relies on the pilot to hit D-> to the IAF when cleared.

This is pretty embarrassing to me... I understood how approaches work on the 480 and had even thought about how easy it would be to make exactly this mistake, and did it anyway. :redface:

Your OP said something about the GNS430. I reread everything you said and actually had edited my post differently at first. I fly with someone who has a GNS480 and was writing my post in that direction when I turned left where I should have turned right, and my edited post didn't make much sense. I fly with both the GNS400 and in a friend's plane with a 480, which alone is confusing!

A GNS400 is pretty much the same as the 430 without radios.

I am familiar with the 480 and watched my buddy be thoroughly confused a couple times on practice approaches doing this same thing, so I don't think it is just you. In any event, like I said, I'm happy you posted this. I have been given an approach more than once that confused me when entered into the GPS, so no, I don't think you're alone here!

[snip]
This is pretty embarrassing to me... I understood how approaches work on the 480 and had even thought about how easy it would be to make exactly this mistake, and did it anyway. :redface:

You should be proud of being right about how easy it would be! :yes:

John

I am familiar with the 480 and watched my buddy be thoroughly confused a couple times on practice approaches doing this same thing, so I don't think it is just you. In any event, like I said, I'm happy you posted this. I have been given an approach more than once that confused me when entered into the GPS, so no, I don't think you're alone here!
Thanks. Yeah, the most critical CPU in the airplane is the one behind the yoke, and the most fallible. We all do dumb things, and hopefully learn from them.

Back