KMKC FBO or City Owned

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
Hey my north bound KMKC (Kansas City - Charles Wheeler Downtown) friends. I am flying up tomorrow for a overnight stop and curious to know about the city owned FBO. A) Are there many tie downs? B) How's the FBO? The reviews look favorable but I didn't know if I would be mooching from Atlantic if I park next door. The fuel savings alone would be $50... call me cheap but I don't mind pumping my own fuel when it's 80 and sunny (or ever for that matter).

Should I plan on using Atlantic or go for the city owned FBO?

Thanks
Benjamin

Hey my north bound KMKC (Kansas City - Charles Wheeler Downtown) friends. I am flying up tomorrow for a overnight stop and curious to know about the city owned FBO. A) Are there many tie downs? B) How's the FBO? The reviews look favorable but I didn't know if I would be mooching from Atlantic if I park next door. The fuel savings alone would be $50... call me cheap but I don't mind pumping my own fuel when it's 80 and sunny (or ever for that matter).

Should I plan on using Atlantic or go for the city owned FBO?

Thanks
Benjamin
I have not flown in there for a year but think Atlantic only sells jet fuel. I have used the self serve and would do it again. Also I believe they have a self serve plane wash similar to a car wash that I wish I would have known about in advance and would have used to clean up the ole belly. It was located right beside the self serve fuel pump, coin operated I believe. Signature has some bad reviews on ForeFlight so I avoided them. Atlantic reviews very good. There is a code on the bottom of the self serve fuel receipt that grants access to the city facilities. Nice airport!

Landed there after Osh.
Got there around 11pm.
Was concerned about access to road, fbo, tiedowns, SS fuel.
All that went smoothly.
Awesome fuel price. Atlantic is JetA only. They are competing with Signature but I'd say with a $2.00 differential, Sig is not wringing their hands over losing out on the GA traffic.
Ask for taxi to the SS pump. Everything is right there. FBO is locked but if you buy fuel, the ticket has a code (ir security will let you in. Uber available.

I'm based at MKC. Note that what the City has is NOT an FBO; it's an unattended terminal building with a bathroom, flight planning, WiFi, seats, TV, etc. It's semi-secure (open access from the ramp side, at least for the moment, and key-code access from the street). There are 4 tie downs in front of the City run "terminal". If those are full, there are 2 or 3 more tie downs near the road (straight west of the City terminal, at the end of the hangar row). But bring your own ropes, I don't think the city has any at any of the tie downs. The City self-serve is super cheap, and Atlantic (as I understand it) is typically helpful as far as rental cars and such. Uber is also easily available. If possible, plan to fill up upon arrival so you can get your fuel receipt, which will have the door code on it. If you don't have that, you can call airport security from the phone in the vestibule and they'll open the door for you, it's just easier if you have the code.

I want more info about this airplane car wash thingy. LOL. No seriously. What is it? Just a pressure wand and drain setup, or what?

I want more info about this airplane car wash thingy. LOL. No seriously. What is it? Just a pressure wand and drain setup, or what?

It's just a hose and (higher than average pressure) spigot, with a drain nearby. Bring your own wand, sprayer, etc. It's actually a pretty good setup, but fancy it is not.

It's just a hose and (higher than average pressure) spigot, with a drain nearby. Bring your own wand, sprayer, etc. It's actually a pretty good setup, but fancy it is not.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Shucks, I was looking for the bikini clad coeds to scrub up the oily belly. Or maybe an opportunity for a new business model? Hooters Hot Scrub Team? & wet T shirts??? I think this thread has a lot of potential for expansion!

Shucks, I was looking for the bikini clad coeds to scrub up the oily belly. Or maybe an opportunity for a new business model? Hooters Hot Scrub Team? & wet T shirts??? I think this thread has a lot of potential for expansion!

I wasn't quite going that far. I was just wondering if the coin op meant there was some nice wash setup worth paying for besides flying across town to the only wash rack for a couple hundred miles that doesn't trigger an EPA Superfund cleanup response because someone washed the greasy belly of their airplane off onto the concrete. LOL.

Back