KLN94 database

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am told by a friend that the only way he can get a database update on his gps is to find an older computer with Win95 or so to do the transfer.
Can this be true?

I am told by a friend that the only way he can get a database update on his gps is to find an older computer with Win95 or so to do the transfer.
Can this be true?
I did the transfers to my KLN90B with a WinXP computer and I am positive that the Bendix/King software was the same for the KLN94. The real key was to have access to a honest to goodness serial port. I was just about to try a USB to serial adapter but ended up changing the GPS to a 430W.

Not true. My tablet PC (which has WinXP) works just fine for the transfer.

The cable uses a serial connection, so you'll need a USB-to-serial adapter to make it work. Then, you may have to play around with assignment of the USB ports to a particular COM port, as the software is particular about that sort of thing.

It took me about an hour to do the first time. Since then, it's taken me about 2 minutes for setup, and then I walk away and do other things while it's uploading (takes about 15 minutes).

FWIW, I like my KLN94. I like the 530 in the 310 better, but the KLN94 was a significantly cheaper option. If you pair it with a KX155A, you get similar capabilities with better failure modes (failure of one unit doesn't take out both your GPS and #1 Nav/Com).

I think it's a 94, if we're talking about the same plane...

Its a 94.
He is told that you can update the approach part of the db by downloading to computer then connecting by cable to a port in the front of the unit. He was able to do that.

The terrain/nav database requires you to dl to computer, then transfer to a card which is then inserted in the front of the unit...this part he has not been able to do yet.

Sound about right?

The Nav/Approach DB is one DB as I've updated it, and I've always updated it by connecting the cable to the unit itself and downloading directly, that's worked fine.

I haven't updated the terrain database.

I use a KLN 94 and do updates using a card reader that has King firmware installed. I use WindowsXP or 98. I have tried several different browsers and found trouble with all but explorer. King is not very flexible.

Its a 94.
He is told that you can update the approach part of the db by downloading to computer then connecting by cable to a port in the front of the unit. He was able to do that.

The terrain/nav database requires you to dl to computer, then transfer to a card which is then inserted in the front of the unit...this part he has not been able to do yet.

Sound about right?
When I had a '94, either method (write DB card using special adapter or via serial cable) would accomplish a DB update, the adapter method was simply more convenient, especially if you had two cards. I don't recall ever updating the obstacle DB but if that requires the adapter method, any BK authorized dealer can do that for you. And since obstacle DB updates are likely quite seldom this might be cheaper than purchasing the adapter assuming they're still available.

I do updates for a KLN94 using a Windows XP computer and a USB-based card programmer, a Sandisk Imagemate. I think you have to use that particular programmer, and there may be something proprietary about it, I dunno, I inherited this setup from somebody else.

I download the database over the web, and use a Bendix-King supplied Windows app to program the card via the Imagemate. Life is a lot easier if you have two cards, and so can program the new one at home, then just go to the airport and swap the new card for the old.
-harry

I do updates for a KLN94 using a Windows XP computer and a USB-based card programmer, a Sandisk Imagemate. I think you have to use that particular programmer, and there may be something proprietary about it, I dunno, I inherited this setup from somebody else.
The Imagemate has to have "special" firmware to program DB cards for a KLN94. It was many years ago that BK stopped supplying replacements (IIRC one was included with each new KLN94) but their website used to have some information on some independent person who could modify a stock Imagemate.

Back