KLN94 database updates

airguy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
airguy
I recently went through a painful process (to my wallet) of updating my KLN94 database in my 172, and found a cheaper way to do it. This may be public knowledge to most but was news to me.

If you go to the Bendix-King website, you can order the updated cards for a couple hundred bucks each, or a subscription of them for about $70 each, and they show up in the mail. There is also an option download the database off the website for about half the price, and load it into the card yourself - but the catch is you need a particular type of card reader that they don't make anymore, and there is apparently only one guy still around with a bunch of them that is still selling them. I bought one, downloaded the update from Bendix and transferred it to my card this afternoon, works as advertised.

Here is an Ebay link to the card reader, this is proprietary software stuff that is not available on the market anymore. He told me he has 18 more readers left, and that's it, there won't be any more made. :dunno:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-KLN-94...iation_Parts_Gear&hash=item43ae0fcc46&vxp=mtr

Note the card reader needs a firmware patch from B/K that I think can only be applied using a Win 9X computer. These appear to already have it, those are extremely expensive for what they are too, actually priced like an airplane part. I had the data loader installed right in my panel, keep a laptop at the hangar and installed a wireless access point at the hangar also. All i do is plop the laptop out and the whole operation takes place in the plane without ever removing the card.

Also note, those SanDisk card writers don't work for the other KLN GPSes

Note the card reader needs a firmware patch from B/K that I think can only be applied using a Win 9X computer. These appear to already have it, those are extremely expensive for what they are too, actually priced like an airplane part. I had the data loader installed right in my panel, keep a laptop at the hangar and installed a wireless access point at the hangar also. All i do is plop the laptop out and the whole operation takes place in the plane without ever removing the card.

Also note, those SanDisk card writers don't work for the other KLN GPSes

My card reader worked right out of the box, no patch needed. I'm running XP Pro on an HP laptop. Plugged it into the USB port and it recognized it in about 4 seconds.

The update software that is supplied (free) from the B-K website to work with the Sandisk reader will let you update the KLN94, KLN90/B, KLN 900, KLX 100, KLN 35A, KLN 89/B, and KILX135A. Perhaps they have changed it since you played with it?

Last edited:
My card reader worked right out of the box, no patch needed. I'm running XP Pro on an HP laptop. Plugged it into the USB port and it recognized it in about 4 seconds.

The update software that is supplied (free) from the B-K website to work with the Sandisk reader will let you update the KLN94, KLN90/B, KLN 900, KLX 100, KLN 35A, KLN 89/B, and KILX135A. Perhaps they have changed it since you played with it?

The eBay guy has already patched the firmware, if anyone comes along with one that hasn't been patched, you need a win 9X machine to do it.

the sandisk in the picture won't work with the 89B. Different cards.
I think the 90/B doesn't even have a card IIRC they have some sort of data brick on the back that requires removal of the unit to replace.

sea_kln_database1.jpg

I think the 90/B doesn't even have a card IIRC they have some sort of data brick on the back that requires removal of the unit to replace.

Correct w.r.t. the 90B, brick in back & no card reader/writer. Can install kit to update from a serial port. Glad the 90B is gone from the 'kota...

I'm pointing this out because, I bought a sandisk for my 89B and it didn't work and I was convinced it would pre-purchase based off stuff I read on internet forums :)

I'm pointing this out because, I bought a sandisk for my 89B and it didn't work and I was convinced it would pre-purchase based off stuff I read on internet forums :)

The guy selling the readers did tell me to NOT reformat the KLN94 card, it's a special format and won't work again once it is re-written in standard format, so that appears to agree with your experience.

YMMV, but it works for me...

Back