KLN-94 moving map

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
The last couple times I've been up in a Skyhawk SP, I've been unable to get a moving map to display on the KLN-94. Hardly a big deal in the planes with the KMD-550, but not so cool in the one that does not have the big display. I like the moving map, and am trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong, or what reasons there may be for the map not displaying.

The easiest way to get the map to display is to hit the scale up.down button, the little rocker that sits on the right edge of the display. After you hit Direct to and enter where you want to go, when you get the CDI needle, simply hit that scale button, up or down it doesn't matter. That will always bring up the map.

That scale button is a feature that the KLN 89B doesn't have. You have to go into "nav" on the bottom and find the right page. Of course, ever since the kid wrecked the only rental that Aerotech had with a KLN 89B, that is a non issue to me.

Jim G

grattonja said:
The easiest way to get the map to display is to hit the scale up.down button, the little rocker that sits on the right edge of the display. After you hit Direct to and enter where you want to go, when you get the CDI needle, simply hit that scale button, up or down it doesn't matter. That will always bring up the map.

That scale button is a feature that the KLN 89B doesn't have. You have to go into "nav" on the bottom and find the right page. Of course, ever since the kid wrecked the only rental that Aerotech had with a KLN 89B, that is a non issue to me.

Jim G

I've been doing that. It hasn't worked :( Does the map quit displaying if the database is out of date? I haven't checked the dates of the databases.

Joe Williams said:
I've been doing that. It hasn't worked :( Does the map quit displaying if the database is out of date? I haven't checked the dates of the databases.

If the map went away when the database was out of date, none of my rentals would have a working gps ;)

The map will not come up when you are standing still on the ground. It will come alive when you start moving. That freaked me out the first few times until I got used to it. Even a fast taxi will usually get you the map. If you sit, waiting for a clearance onto the runway for example, you lose the map. It does come back though.

What do you get when you fire up and go? Just the CDI needle? If the scaler doesn't work, then you will need to move around the chapters and pages at the bottom of the GPS. You need the highlighted square to be on map. The big knob moves that square. Then you need to turn the little knob to move from page to page. The map is page 5 or page 7, something like that.

Jim G

grattonja said:
If the map went away when the database was out of date, none of my rentals would have a working gps ;)

The map will not come up when you are standing still on the ground. It will come alive when you start moving. That freaked me out the first few times until I got used to it. Even a fast taxi will usually get you the map. If you sit, waiting for a clearance onto the runway for example, you lose the map. It does come back though.

What do you get when you fire up and go? Just the CDI needle? If the scaler doesn't work, then you will need to move around the chapters and pages at the bottom of the GPS. You need the highlighted square to be on map. The big knob moves that square. Then you need to turn the little knob to move from page to page. The map is page 5 or page 7, something like that.

Jim G

I've just been getting a blank screen when I turn to the map page, but I've been sitting still when I tried. I just turned to the CDI when I didn't get the map. Next time I'm up I'll check it when I'm moving. I think you may have solved my problem, thanks! :) With luck I'll be able to report back tomorrow, though the weather report doesn't look good. I was grounded this morning by fog :(

Joe Williams said:
I've just been getting a blank screen when I turn to the map page, but I've been sitting still when I tried. I just turned to the CDI when I didn't get the map. Next time I'm up I'll check it when I'm moving. I think you may have solved my problem, thanks! :) With luck I'll be able to report back tomorrow, though the weather report doesn't look good. I was grounded this morning by fog :(

If you ain't movin', you got know map. I remember that it really freaked me out the first time, and then I got in the air and it was good to go. Most recently, at ABE, I noticed that sitting I had no map, but taxiing I had a map. Then waiting to depart, no map. Again, moving brought it back. One of the two I fly has the MD550. That seems to keep the map up. You would know better on that than I, as you seem to fly more rentals with the MD550. My most frequent ride has a useless ADF instead.

Know what you mean about the weather. I was thinking about taking my daughter to dinner at Kutztown tonite. Not sure if the weather will be agreeable or not.

Jim G

Joe Williams said:

DB currency is not the problem (mine displays fine with an old DB). There are three ways to get to the map page from anywhere else: the map scale rocker sw, the map menu button (little round thing below the scale rocker) and using the rotary knobs (Turn the big one to get to nav pages and then turn the small one to get the map.

Are you unable to select the map page or is the map displaying but blank? With a blank map you'd see the annunciators on the right side and the data on the left with the middle 2/3 pretty much blank.

Unless you have an air data computer interfaced, there are three map orientations: North up, Desired Track up, and Track up. If you have Track up selected the map will be blank unless you are moving fast enough to allow the GPS to determine your course. Also IIRC the map will be blank if the GPS cannot determine your position, and also if you select Desired Track up and have no Nav function configured (Direct to or Flight Plan).

lancefisher said:
DB currency is not the problem (mine displays fine with an old DB). There are three ways to get to the map page from anywhere else: the map scale rocker sw, the map menu button (little round thing below the scale rocker) and using the rotary knobs (Turn the big one to get to nav pages and then turn the small one to get the map.

Are you unable to select the map page or is the map displaying but blank? With a blank map you'd see the annunciators on the right side and the data on the left with the middle 2/3 pretty much blank.

Unless you have an air data computer interfaced, there are three map orientations: North up, Desired Track up, and Track up. If you have Track up selected the map will be blank unless you are moving fast enough to allow the GPS to determine your course. Also IIRC the map will be blank if the GPS cannot determine your position, and also if you select Desired Track up and have no Nav function configured (Direct to or Flight Plan).

Now there is a guy who knows the KLN 94. I always wondered what the little round thing under the scale buttons was. Never had the stones to push it, and I don't own the manual myself. Funny the things you do/don't know about your gps.

It sounds like Joe was getting the blank map you get when not moving. Although it is certainly possible that some other renter changed the map orientation on him. I hate it when someone moves the configuration that I have the way I like it.

Jim G

grattonja said:

This is true if the map orientation is "Track Up", not true otherwise. To change map orientation, from the map page press the map menu button, rotate the large knob until the third (last) line is highlighted and then select the desired orientation with the small knob. Press the map menu button or the scale rocker to exit back to the map.

What do you get when you fire up and go? Just the CDI needle? If the scaler doesn't work, then you will need to move around the chapters and pages at the bottom of the GPS. You need the highlighted square to be on map. The big knob moves that square. Then you need to turn the little knob to move from page to page. The map is page 5 or page 7, something like that.[/QUOTE]

It's the Nav 4 page. On the actual map page the page ID's go away and the area is used to expand the map. Only the bottom right corner (bottom of the annunciator pane) will indicate that you are on the "Nav 4" (map) page.

grattonja said:
Now there is a guy who knows the KLN 94. I always wondered what the little round thing under the scale buttons was. Never had the stones to push it, and I don't own the manual myself. Funny the things you do/don't know about your gps.

It sounds like Joe was getting the blank map you get when not moving. Although it is certainly possible that some other renter changed the map orientation on him. I hate it when someone moves the configuration that I have the way I like it.

Jim G

I think I've got something like three copies of the manual. Here's one for you:

https://www3.bendixking.com/servlet...ame=/TechPubs/repository/006-18207-0000_2.pdf

grattonja said:

Jim G

You'd think the avionics manufacturers would recognize that when their products are installed in a rental, user configuration takes on a whole new dimension. The two features I'd like to see to address that are a "reset to all factory defaults" button sequence and the ability to plug in an inexpensive memory (CF, USB, SD etc) and a way to save/restore entire setups including flight plans etc.

Bendix/King's Web site is very clunky, but as others have noted, you can (eventually) find and download most user manuals, quick-reference cards, etc. in PDF format for most of the company's products. I've attached the KLN 94 Quick Reference; the full manual is available (if the Web site is cooperating) from the link in a previous message.

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
You'd think the avionics manufacturers would recognize that when their products are installed in a rental, user configuration takes on a whole new dimension....

The KLN 94 does have way to reset the map configuration (from page 3-44):
NOTE: Each aeronautical item has a factory set default range value. To change an individual item to the default value place the cursor over the range field to the right of the desired item and press the [CLR] button. To change all aeronautical items to their default ranges, place the cursor over“Restore Dfaults?” on line 3 and press the [ENT] button.
Although the manufacturers still have a way to go before they allow us to plug in a USB memory gizmo, SD card, etc. they are making progress on the customization front. The Garmin G1000 includes a "pilot profile" feature that allows you to store system preferences for several users. At our flight school, we have a school default profile so that students and instructors can start from a known setup regardless of what the previous pilot did with the all the menus.

BruceAir said:
The KLN 94 does have way to reset the map configuration (from page 3-44):
NOTE: Each aeronautical item has a factory set default range value. To change an individual item to the default value place the cursor over the range field to the right of the desired item and press the [CLR] button. To change all aeronautical items to their default ranges, place the cursor over“Restore Dfaults?” on line 3 and press the [ENT] button.​

AFaIK that only resets the aeronautical map feature settings. There's lots of other stuff that doesn't get restored.

Although the manufacturers still have a way to go before they allow us to plug in a USB memory gizmo, SD card, etc. they are making progress on the customization front. The Garmin G1000 includes a "pilot profile" feature that allows you to store system preferences for several users. At our flight school, we have a school default profile so that students and instructors can start from a known setup regardless of what the previous pilot did with the all the menus.

How do you prevent another user from changing the "school default profile" and/or how do you tell if it's been altered? Is there a password or something?

Thanks for all the follow up info, guys. I will download and print the KLN 94 manual when I get a few free minutes. I have learned to do most of the basic stuff and some of the more advanced stuff so far. It helps to take the cessna school training, as the books are geared toward the KLN 89B and 94. And my CFI was well versed in the IFR elements as well. But changing defaults, etc, would be helpful knowledge. So I will download and read.

Thanks again.

Jim G

grattonja said:
Thanks for all the follow up info, guys. I will download and print the KLN 94 manual when I get a few free minutes. I have learned to do most of the basic stuff and some of the more advanced stuff so far. It helps to take the cessna school training, as the books are geared toward the KLN 89B and 94. And my CFI was well versed in the IFR elements as well. But changing defaults, etc, would be helpful knowledge. So I will download and read.

Thanks again.

Jim G

I'm going to do the same. I don't do much but -->D with the GPS, but it would be nice to know how to actually use it.

I don't get to practice with the GPS, or anything else, this morning either. WX cancellation again. I think maybe I'm being a bit of a WX wimp, though. Ceilings 500 feet and vis 2.5 miles. I should be able to do pattern work in that, right? :goofy:

Joe Williams said:
I'm going to do the same. I don't do much but -->D with the GPS, but it would be nice to know how to actually use it.

I don't get to practice with the GPS, or anything else, this morning either. WX cancellation again. I think maybe I'm being a bit of a WX wimp, though. Ceilings 500 feet and vis 2.5 miles. I should be able to do pattern work in that, right? :goofy:

Bummer on the weather :(

Maybe sometime you would like to go up and shoot some practice approaches on a nice scroungy day with me? I can show you what that little box can do besides Direct to.

I got to go up yesterday, as the weather held off. Took my 6 YO co-pilot over the Kutztown for dinner. We had a lovely flight over and back, and got to watch a pattern comprised of the red Waco, a piper cub and a home built taildragger. It sure felt like the 50's sitting in that diner.

Jim G

grattonja said:
Bummer on the weather :(

Maybe sometime you would like to go up and shoot some practice approaches on a nice scroungy day with me? I can show you what that little box can do besides Direct to.

I got to go up yesterday, as the weather held off. Took my 6 YO co-pilot over the Kutztown for dinner. We had a lovely flight over and back, and got to watch a pattern comprised of the red Waco, a piper cub and a home built taildragger. It sure felt like the 50's sitting in that diner.

Jim G

I'd love to go up sometime!

Joe Williams said:
I'd love to go up sometime!

Sometime, when there is a good scuzzy day coming up and I can disappear, I'll drop you a line. It's only 20 minutes or so from S37 to where you are. Do you mostly fly out of LOM?

Jim G

grattonja said:
Sometime, when there is a good scuzzy day coming up and I can disappear, I'll drop you a line. It's only 20 minutes or so from S37 to where you are. Do you mostly fly out of LOM?

Jim G

Yes, I do almost all my flying out of KLOM anymore. I do want to check N47, Pottstown Muni, again though.

Joe Williams said:
Yes, I do almost all my flying out of KLOM anymore. I do want to check N47, Pottstown Muni, again though.

That is a nice little airport. I met the then new manager last year when I was IR training and he was brand new. He was totally stripping out a hangar and reworking things and trying to get active flight training going again as well. I don't know how he made out. Will have to stop in again sometime...

Jim G

Back