KJAC procedure questions

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Well, there's already two threads on this, but I've gotta start a third - I have some questions about the procedures involved.

Looking at the GEYSER FOUR departure, you need a fairly crazy climb gradient - 450'/nm all the way to 14,000 feet, so very few normally aspirated birds will be able to make it.

But... What is the purpose of that requirement? Following the procedure, it's a total of 17nm to NALSI. 450'/nm * 17nm + 6451 ft (field elev) = 14,101 so you'd be climbing like mad all the way to NALSI...

... only to have the MEA drop to 12000 and the MOCA drop to 10,800 if you're eastbound.

Westbound, I can see the requirement, since there's a 14,100 crossing restriction at QUIRT anyway (but an extra 3 miles to get there too...) But if you're eastbound - Why the need to climb so high? There's no apparent reason.

On the TETON THREE, the gradient makes more sense, but still seems high. The highest terrain along that route is at 9980, 21nm from KJAC. It seems that the procedure should be designed to have you at 12,000 by there, but that's a gradient of only 265'/nm. Also, it's unclear why you need to climb to 14,000 at all on this departure, as 12,000 should give you the necessary 2000 feet of obstacle clearance, and even the OROCA after KICNE is only 13,200. Finally, there are airways departing IDA with MEA's as low as 7,000'.

Any ideas?

I will check into this further, but.....

I believe when this was crafted the FAA was in contact with the National Park Service, ie, Dept of the Interior and since this airport is in Grand Teton National Park getting up higher, faster would result in a smaller noise signature over the park lands.. Since the Geyser 4 is a northbound departure it not only overflys Teton park but you are headed toward Yellowstone and that 'might' be the reason. I will ask around for the grizzly details.

Ben
N801BH
Jackson Hole Wy
AOPA ASN
www.haaspowerair.com

I believe when this was crafted the FAA was in contact with the National Park Service, ie, Dept of the Interior and since this airport is in Grand Teton National Park getting up higher, faster would result in a smaller noise signature over the park lands.. Since the Geyser 4 is a northbound departure it not only overflys Teton park but you are headed toward Yellowstone and that 'might' be the reason. I will ask around for the grizzly details.

Ben
N801BH
Jackson Hole Wy
AOPA ASN
www.haaspowerair.com

Another possibility is that the terrain clearance requirements which exist out a ways on either side of the course pushed the necessary climb gradient higher.

I bet you're right - Reminds me of the somewhat-recent thread about the coincident airways in Alaska. The more recent GPS airway had a higher MEA, and the answer was that they wanted the airplanes higher when going over a wilderness area. (Isn't all of Alaska a wilderness area?)

Back