Kitty Hawk

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
CFII and I spent the morning doing ground work and talking about an adventure this fall. We decided to do a flight from KPOU to First Flight Airfield KFFA. It would be part of my IR training and an opportunity for him to log some major hours as well. Besides, it has to be one of the most amazing places to go. For those of you who have been there, anything you can add about the experience is welcome.

Ahh the Holy Land!

I did not fly into FFA I had landed at Manteo earlier in the week. That was fun shooting the approach into Manteo and coming down through the grey clag near FFA.

I did enjoy walking around FFA and the monument. After reading a book about the Wright Brothers and seeing pictures of the area I was quite interested in how the area had changed over the past 100 or so years.

1. It's a terrific experience
2. It's windy!
3. The wind shift as you get low and descend through the cutout in the trees on final can be.... interesting. It's windy!
4. Williamsburg Airport (KJGG) may be not too far out of your way, and is a good place for fuel and food (at a nice cafe right in the terminal).
5. Technically you probably won't come within 60 miles of the DCA VOR, but it might be a good idea to take the SFRA course at www.faasafety.gov.

1. It's a terrific experience
2. It's windy!
3. The wind shift as you get low and descend through the cutout in the trees on final can be.... interesting. It's windy!
4. Williamsburg Airport (KJGG) may be not too far out of your way, and is a good place for fuel and food (at a nice cafe right in the terminal).
5. Technically you probably won't come within 60 miles of the DCA VOR, but it might be a good idea to take the SFRA course at www.faasafety.gov.

Tim pretty much captured it all.......the nice cafe' is Charly's in the terminal at JGG

I'll add my blog entry with a landing on runway two zero video in there somewhere. http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2008/05/aviation-mecca.html

EVERY pilot should get there at least once -- We went on a lark and once we landed and tied down, saw the memorial -- well, this is where it all started. Hard not to be moved.

And yes -- Tim's right -- it's a great place to practice your rudder skills. :D

I visited there some years ago with my brother. I had a feeling of being amongst greatness as I walked the paths and took in all of the sights. It humbled me to stand and take this picture.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 33
Funny you mention this... FFA was included in my IFR cross country adventure a few weeks ago. We landed and walked up the hill toward the monument. Really cool tribute! From there, we walked down to where the distance markers are located (see Bob's Picture). It's amazing in itself that something like the flyer could have ever made it that far! Afterward, strolled over to the main building where there is a ton of History on the Wright Brothers.

I would suggest stopping at the AOPA building, unmanned and the only building by Aircraft parking, to check WX,etc,,. You can also register to receive a really nice certificate from AOPA that you visited the First Flight Pilot facility.

It's an experience that I will never forget!

pic 1- Doug Stewart and I
pic 2- Monument
pic 3- Looking down the hill from the monument toward the 4 landing stone markers. Also a recreation of the Wright Brothers workshop and living area.
pic 4- The rock that says it all!

Last edited:
My close up of that last one. :smile:

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 24
It's an experience not to be missed. I think the other details have been covered! :)

Watch out for the hot MOAs and restricted areas enroute. I haven't checked the sectional to the north, but coming from Charlotte, the MOAs were very active.

Just went with ma last weekend. We did it as a driving trip as we wanted to go shopping along the way.

I felt a bit geeky being moved to tears when standing next to the big rock marking the place they took off from.

Make sure to see the talk the rangers give in the cement building. They have the replica flyer that was build to mark 100 years. The ranger demonstrated the wing warping/control movement durring the talk. Really cool.

While we were walking around there was a Cirus that took off, everyone watched and he did a flyby of the monument before leaving the area.... I'd be tempted to do a low(ish) pass of the stones right over where they flew for the first time.

I'll add my pictures when I get home.

Missa

Back