King Schools or Sportys?

LifeAsBen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LifeAsBen
Seeking recommendations for instrument online course. Considering King Schools but the quality of videos and interface seem archaic. Sportys boasts HD video, is it better?

HD video? For this? I would think that you should be more focused on quality of the information versus the ability to count the rivets on the aircraft or the eye candy of the user interface.

You'll soon get the retread of the King vs. Sporties vs. Ford Highwing vs. Dodge Low wing vs. Chevrolet whatever vs. Great Taste vs. Less Filling arguments. Plus it's way too easy to overthink this.

For me, King videos, Sheppard Air Written Test Prep, Bob Gardner's Complete Pilot, the FAA books, and a really good CFI-I did the trick.

Can't speak to Sporty's but I got my instrument with the Cessna/King program which uses the King online course. The steam guage videos are dated, the G1000 videos much less so, but the info presented is current which is all that really matters. Besides the videos are only a tiny portion of the course and are used mainly to reinforce the material that's presented basically in a slide format. If you can get past Martha and John's corny delivery I think it's a good packge. 2 years later I still occasionally log on to review this or that, which is the beauty of the online program as it kept updated. YMMV.....

Have you looked into Gleim? Their training materials are put together well.

King is the gold standard.

I wouldn't really care about HD, you really want to see John and Martha in HD??

Hahaha! Yes, yes I do. I want to see if that hair is real.

King is king! You will be able to see Martha age 20 years at the blink of an eye!

Get the web version. It continually updates with new info. I got a 96 on the test.

I used Sporty's back in 2003. I liked it better than the King course. Sporty's was more how to fly IFR with some test prep mixed in. I don't know what has been updated by now. ASA also makes some video courses. I bought the commercial course years ago with the best intentions. One of these days I will take that test. :eek:

King is king! You will be able to see Martha age 20 years at the blink of an eye!

Get the web version. It continually updates with new info. I got a 96 on the test.
Haha! I still have the old VHS tapes when they were flying the Mooney's. I think they're from the early 2000's or late 90's. Compare them to now! ;)

King is the gold standard.

I wouldn't really care about HD, you really want to see John and Martha in HD??

For me it's not so much seeing as hearing. Martha Kings voice drives me up a wall.
Hers and the pass faa exams guy.

Although the pass faa exams videos I found very informative. he just sounds like a robot or a maybe a robot with a sinus infection.

I used Sportys for PPL after using King a long time ago. I much prefer the Sportys presentation for that course. Right now I'm studying Gleim for Ifr and plan to reinforce with Shepard.

Where has @dtuuri been lately? His stuff is pretty good... And free.

I am doing it right now and like sporty's just because I can download on iPad and phone. It syncs them as I complete a video.

Seeking recommendations for instrument online course. Considering King Schools but the quality of videos and interface seem archaic. Sportys boasts HD video, is it better?

Sporty's is largely pointless stock footage; not much point in having it in HD other than to be eye-appealing. King does a much better job of helping you understand and retain.

You're not joking. It really is jarring. They should reshoot the whole video instead of having bits and pieces shot decades apart.

Back