King KX170B receiving but not transmitting

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Got two KX170B's in my Cherokee 140. Been great so far, but recently one of them has stopped transmitting. I can receive just fine (or at least I can listen to ATIS...). Anyways, having an avionics guy look at it. Just wondering if this is a common problem with these? What would you guys replace it with if it wasn't fixable (something reasonable for a Cherokee 140, not a Garmin 430 lol)?

Got two KX170B's in my Cherokee 140. Been great so far, but recently one of them has stopped transmitting. I can receive just fine (or at least I can listen to ATIS...). Anyways, having an avionics guy look at it. Just wondering if this is a common problem with these? What would you guys replace it with if it wasn't fixable (something reasonable for a Cherokee 140, not a Garmin 430 lol)?
The 170b are not worth repairing, simply replace it with another 170b. you can buy them cheaper than fixing them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KX170b-/322329360087?hash=item4b0c53b6d7:g:8-IAAOSw4GVYKz5u&vxp=mtr

Toss it in the trash and hook a new handheld to the external antenna?

Toss it in the trash and hook a new handheld to the external antenna?

A handheld? Am I missing something? Can you hook that up to your headset then?

There's a lot of different handheld adapters out there for such things.

Okay sorry I am not familiar with this, but ok thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe we will look at a used KX-155 or something idk.

The TKM MX170B is probably the easiest way to get rid of the KX170B. Buying a really old used one is gonna be hit/miss too because a lot of them are very very old radios. Last I heard on the interwebs TKM would not repair any radio older than 16 years and tell you to buy a new one.

I had one fail in brilliant fashion (TKM MX300) a couple years ago and the bill was almost $700 to fix it. Still going strong and the customer is happy so I guess it turned out well.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/avionics_instruments/av/menus/av/navcom_tkm.html

Another vote for TKMs. I bought mine for $150, works perfect. Don't pay "internet prices", they can be found for cheap.

Maybe we will look at a used KX-155 or something idk.
If you up grade to a 155 or higher you'll need a different nav head also.

Last edited:
I can't understand why any one would pay $1500.00 - $2000.00 for any radio that won't work any better than a $200.00 -$300.00 dollar one.

I can't understand why any one would pay $1500.00 - $2000.00 for any radio that won't work any better than a $200.00 -$300.00 dollar one.

Me neither Tom-D, me neither. What a bunch of noobs.

No TX at all or a dead carrier? I thought my radio was dead till I found the Mic plug spun and grounded out. 20 min and she was all better.

Grab a handheld and see if it's TXing

I have a perfectly working 170B when removed sitting in my hangar. Make an offer...

Had an avionics guy look at it and it's working again.

I love it when a AV guy cures it with just a look :)

Me too. He had this special A&P wand and waved it around said a few things and bam! it was fixed. I wasn't there, my dad was, but I guess it had just become disconnected from the back or something? Idk...or it had slid out of the tray a bit or something and needed to be pushed back in. Idk take it with a grain of salt.

Back