King Air Engine Overhaul?

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Any one know the approx cost of an engine overhaul on a King Air? One of my customers is telling me $400,000 for both engines - seems out of line to me.

bstratt said:
Any one know the approx cost of an engine overhaul on a King Air? One of my customers is telling me $400,000 for both engines - seems out of line to me.

Doesn't sound out of line to me, but is the t wheel timed out???? same old story what kind of job are they going to do at overhaul??:dunno: :dunno: I haven't worked on one in a decade.

Last edited:
If you can provide specifics (model #, times, etc.) I can get a ballpark figure next week from my FBO that maintains a couple of King Airs. We were talking last week about insurance and he mentioned commercial insurance for him to stock a spare $500,000 turbine engine for them ran $15,000/yr.

bstratt said:

400K is pretty close, a twin Otter here at UUV had one engine done and it was over 150K.

bstratt said:

That's actually a pretty fair estimate. It can come in a bit cheaper, it can come in a bit more, all depends on what parts are shot and what's redoable.

Thanks. We actually sold a King Air last year with run out engines for about $430,000. One of the guarantors is suing us for disposing of the plane too cheaply saying it would have been worth $840,000 to $900,000. We advertised extensively and that was the best price we got. The owner, who is also being sued, said the differential was the cost of the engine overhaul. Just wanted to check.

bstratt said:
Thanks. We actually sold a King Air last year with run out engines for about $430,000. One of the guarantors is suing us for disposing of the plane too cheaply saying it would have been worth $840,000 to $900,000. We advertised extensively and that was the best price we got. The owner, who is also being sued, said the differential was the cost of the engine overhaul. Just wanted to check.

And here I thought you were moving up to a turbine twin:D.

bstratt said:

Yep, that's pretty real world accurate. You probably could have done better parting it out, but I'm sure that's not part of the disspossal contract.

lancefisher said:
And here I thought you were moving up to a turbine twin:D.

I wish Lance!!! I look at the planes we repossess sometimes with longing but they are way out of my price range.

Barry any word on that a/c (light twin?) that was 'missing'? Suspected in Mx?

Hi Dave, boy that one is turning into a saga!

First the Delaware Corp that owned it is no longer in good standing having failed to pay its fees since the first year.

Plane was last annualled Nov 8/04 and entered Mexico on Nov 8/05 (coincidence??).

Has not left Mexico since. We have reason to believe its in Guadalajara (sp?).

It's no longer insured in the US. Policy was cancelled.

Turns out the engine was not overhauled afterall (looks like hours on each 700-800).

We're now working with a "recovery" company to see what's required in getting it back.

bstratt said:
Hi Dave, boy that one is turning into a saga!

First the Delaware Corp that owned it is no longer in good standing having failed to pay its fees since the first year.

Plane was last annualled Nov 8/04 and entered Mexico on Nov 8/05 (coincidence??).

Has not left Mexico since. We have reason to believe its in Guadalajara (sp?).

It's no longer insured in the US. Policy was cancelled.

Turns out the engine was not overhauled afterall (looks like hours on each 700-800).

We're now working with a "recovery" company to see what's required in getting it back.

What recovery service are you using?

Henning said:
What recovery service are you using?

Don't know the name yet as our attornies are exploring the facts with a couple of firms they've used in the past (once to get a 737 out of Brazil).

I'm told they have experience in paying Mexican "fees" to avoid hassles in Mexico.

When I get the name I'll let you know.

bstratt said:
Don't know the name yet as our attornies are exploring the facts with a couple of firms they've used in the past (once to get a 737 out of Brazil).

I'm told they have experience in paying Mexican "fees" to avoid hassles in Mexico.

When I get the name I'll let you know.

A couple cartons of Marlboro reds and a case of JD black in half pints is always helpfull as well.

What a fun job you have, Barry.

There was a recovery of a Glassair on the Repo show on Discovery. The pilot they hired had to rush a pre-flight on a plane (homebuilt, no less!) he'd never seen before - which was still taking time that made the repo guys very nervous - and then fly the unfamiliar plane away. Not me. :hairraise:

mikea said:
What a fun job you have, Barry.

There was a recovery of a Glassair on the Repo show on Discovery. The pilot they hired had to rush a pre-flight on a plane (homebuilt, no less!) he'd never seen before - which was still taking time that made the repo guys very nervous - and then fly the unfamiliar plane away. Not me. :hairraise:

I vaguely remember a movie about two guys repo'ing a Lear from a drug lord in South America. They climbed in, fired up, took off, and then discovered that they had about zilch fuel. Seems like that'd be one thing youd'd want to check pretty carefully before starting.

Back