King Air dual engine failure 27K

Not to take away from the thread, but thinking about usable fuel. My sport holds 30gal a side. 3gal not usable each tank. I burn about 8.5gph, plan for 10gpm.

I was told the unusable was usable as long as you maintain straight and level flight. It's not usable in steep turns.

He lost his engines at 27,000' and couldn't make an airport?

:D;)

Seriously though, losing power on one, and subsequently the other? That almost has to be a fuel issue. If so, it's a tragedy.

No, he attempted to land at 27K. an airport in Kentucky. :)

attached is the preliminary NTSB...

Attachments

• ERA15LA293_Preliminary.pdf
    332.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
What I don't get is why his right engine isn't feathered and left is. In a duel engine failure I'd assume you feather both or none. In the NTSB report it says that the autofeather feather the right engine, he may or may not have feathered the left engine. According to the post crash picture, the left is feathered, while the right clearly isn't and also clearly wasn't spinning during impact.

http://www.baaa-acro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/N257CQ-1.jpg

Read the report again. It clearly distinguishes between what the pilot reported and what was observed. It does not say that the right prop was feathered, it says the pilot reported the right prop was feathered. I'm guessing the pilot took a pretty big hit to the head, and was not considered reliable:

The pilot could not recall feathering the left engine; however, due to the injuries the pilot sustained, the inspector suspended the interview until a later date.

Read the report again. It clearly distinguishes between what the pilot reported and what was observed. It does not say that the right prop was feathered, it says the pilot reported the right prop was feathered. I'm guessing the pilot took a pretty big hit to the head, and was not considered reliable:

I guess.

Back