King Air 200 Initial Type rating

lilflyboy262

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lilflyboy262
Hi Guys,

I'm new to flying in the states. I'm looking for a place that does King Air 200 type ratings for a reasonable price.
Seen a few around $5000, some as high as $13,000 when it is all done in a sim.
Before anyone corrects me with needing a type rating, I do need one for my countries licence :wink2:

Any help would be much appreciated.

The King Air 200 does not require a type rating in the U.S. Max takeoff weight is below 12,500 as far as I know.

The King Air 200 does not require a type rating in the U.S. Max takeoff weight is below 12,500 as far as I know.

He says:

Before anyone corrects me with needing a type rating, I do need one for my countries licence

I'm not sure what constitutes receiving the required training to qualify for a type rating in his country, but you're correct that typically no such rating is necessary for his US license.

It's best he check out an operation like Flight Safety that has dealt with international pilots before.

Last edited:
It sure would help if we knew which country you were from then, asking a question without enough information to form an answer is kinda useless.

There is a King Air BE-200 type for US certificates. The military operates them above 12,500.

I've issued several BE200 type ratings.

Most countries outside the USA need a type rating on the King Air.
Most countries will also accept a type rating completed in the USA.

All you need to do is do what is required for a type rating, and take the appropriate paperwork and file it with your local aviation authority.

I hold 4 CPL licences and a Validation, and all 5 of those companies are the same.

America is usually much cheaper to come for type ratings due to the abundance of simulators rather than say with the likes of Australia where there is only one or two sims. They are then rented out at marginally cheaper prices than what you would pay doing it in the aircraft.

@Henning, All I was asking was for places that provide king air training. Most of them will then provide ratings as well.

For CASA in Oz, Flight Safety or Simcom are probably your best bet, but I'm not sure how much you'll save. Most big Sims are more expensive to operate than a King Air, the advantages to the sim lie in that you can push things beyond fatal failure conditions

............... All I was asking was for places that provide king air training. Most of them will then provide ratings as well.

Actually, you will probably have a hard time finding a Part 142 schoolhouse in the USA, like Flightsafety, CAE, SimCom, or the other smaller 142 schools (like FlyRight, King Air Academy, etc) that can issue the KA200 Type Rating. For FlightSafety, you should check with their learning center in Wichita, which is the lead center for King Air training; if any FlightSafety location can do the training for, and subsequently test and issue, the King Air 200 type rating, it would be their Wichita facility. The problem is, that while any of the above schools can do the training for the King Air 200, in order for them to issue a KA200 type rating, the school must have an FAA approved curriculum specifically for that Type Rating training course, and a Training Center Evaluator (TCE) who is approved by the FAA to do that test and issue that KA200 Type Rating. Historically, these schools have not had that capability or approval, since customer requests for a King Air 200 type rating, here in the USA - where the vast majority of the King Air 200's are not over 12,500 lbs and therefore do not require a type rating - are fairly uncommon.

Now, that might be changing. There is a company called Centex Aerospace, that offers a conversion to raise the King Air 200 max gross takeoff weight to 13,420 pounds. It is called the Centex Halo 250 mod, you can Google it. If you call them, I am guessing they would probably know who can train for and/or issue an FAA King Air 200 type rating, because whoever purchases their STC for that weight increase, is going to need to get that KA200 Type Rating to take advantage of that modification.

What you might end up having to do, if none of the part 142 schools is FAA-approved for a KA200 Type Rating class and issuance, is take a regular KA200 initial class, at any of the part 142 schools, and then schedule a type rating checkride with the FAA, in the airplane. They do have inspectors who can give the King Air 200 type rating check ride in the airplane. I had an FAA Inspector agree to give me a KA200 Type Rating check ride a few years ago when I was considering this Halo 250 modification, for a 200 that I was flying regularly at that time, but I left that job before that Halo 250 weight increase STC was approved.

I don't see SIMCOM mentioned above. I'd call their Orlando headquarters and ask. 800.272.0211.

Best,

Dave

Thanks for the information. I've done some digging and what I have found pretty much follows the suggestions that have been made.

Joined up to the beechtalk forum as well.

One thing I need to follow up is apparently that if the rating is for a non-FAA licence (I'm still not sure which licence I am going to use. My New Zealand licence is current at the moment.) Then the examiner doesn't have to be approved by FAA? An Aussie guy who just did his A320 rating tried to explain it to me as he went out the door.
Also could have been that if its non-FAA then it doesn't have the oral section of the rating.

I wonder if a King Air 350 type would include the 200. It does include the 300.

If so, you'd have most of the King Air family.

One thing I need to follow up is apparently that if the rating is for a non-FAA licence (I'm still not sure which licence I am going to use. My New Zealand licence is current at the moment.) Then the examiner doesn't have to be approved by FAA? An Aussie guy who just did his A320 rating tried to explain it to me as he went out the door.
Also could have been that if its non-FAA then it doesn't have the oral section of the rating.

I believe that if you are getting it on your New Zealand license, the examiner (actually the entire test) needs to be approved by the NZ authority. But I'm just going by what I have heard while going to some of these big sim schools. The foreign students sometimes had different requirement than we did.

You can convert a US type rating, as R&W mentioned, but I think you can only get a US type rating if you have a US license.

You should talk to some of the bigger schools mentioned who are used to dealing with these issues. I had a guy from NZ in my class once, but it was just a recurrent class.

Last edited:
I wonder if a King Air 350 type would include the 200. It does include the 300.

If so, you'd have most of the King Air family.
in many parts of the world each model is a separate type rating

for example, listed on my south african license:
C90 and B200 different types
C-421 and C-414 are different types
C-182 and C-210 are different types
aeronca champ and piper cub are different types

each one required a check ride for the type rating

if you are moving from the usa or canada to one of these places, try to rack up as many types in your logboox as possible, because typically they will all be grandfathered and your license will start with each of those types after your single check ride

Last edited:
While converting my ratings from my Canadian CPL onto my New Zealand licence. All I had to prove was that I had a minimum of 5hrs PIC on type with photocopies of my logbook.
I couldn't carry my King Air 100 Rating onto my NZ CPL due to there being no 100's on the NZ register.

Which has just lead me to having a bit of a brainwave. Can I just do a difference course, followed by 5hrs PIC (Will get a FAA PPL) and then have it put on my Canadian licence as a rating?
Canadian licence is uncurrent at the moment, but that shouldn't be a problem as no C registered planes will be flown.

Back