Killeen or Temple TX?

airdale

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
airdale
I am going to be in Texas in a couple of weeks, planning to park the airplane, rent a car, and visit some friends to the west and spend a day or so in San Antonio.

Killeen or Temple are about the same for me as far as the driving. I picked KILE initially, but it looks like KTPL might involve a little less airspace hassle than KILE and it has two runways.

Recommendations?

Ummm... you do know that Temple/Killeen is pretty far away from San Antonio, right? Like 2.5 hours in light traffic?

Ummm... you do know that Temple/Killeen is pretty far away from San Antonio, right? Like 2.5 hours in light traffic?
Yeah. We have several things in the area between San Antonio and Lampasas that we want to do. It's too time consuming to move the airplane and rent multiple cars. Austin might be a slightly more central parking place but for us the Killeen area looks like it will work better.

Gotcha... Don't forget your not that far from Llano and Cooper's BBQ

And Fredericksburg with it's very pretty downtown area, good museums, and the Hangar Hotel.

This is a good season to travel through Texas... the Bluebonnets recently bloomed.

ROFL. Yes, Cooper's is on the list. Also Wildseed Farms near Fredricksburg is on the list. We have bought from them.

But ... back to the question: Which airport?

ROFL. Yes, Cooper's is on the list. Also Wildseed Farms near Fredricksburg is on the list. We have bought from them.

But ... back to the question: Which airport?
Is BMQ an option? The fuel price might make up the extra distance...

I live between Killeen and Burnet and have a plane up near Temple. If you're OK with airspace, Killeen is 30 min. closer for driving time.

Ryan

I fly I to Temple fairly often, it would be a good choice.

You might also consider KGTU. Nice airport and possibly a little more central for you.

-Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Definately agree with Ryan, I've lived in central TX my whole life, would choose Burnet for San Antonio/Lampasas and surrounding area as the best choice. Cheap fuel and nice folks, and Hwy 281 runs north and south and you can get to I35 on the north side of Austin in about 45 mins, south Austin is only about 1.2 hours via Hwy 71. AVOID I-35 in Austin on any weekday (or any day period) if possible. Rush hour lasts from 7am till 7pm.

But otherwise, Temple.

I've been into Temple several times a few years ago and it was fine. Not been into Killeen.

Temple over Killeen is my recommendation for your question.

If you're not real set on either of those I suggest like others, Burnet is the more central to the San Antonio, Lampasas and of course Llano for the BBQ.

Fuel is reasonable at all the fields listed, just your choice of where you want to start or end :)

Killeen cops hate anything resembling GI's. ask me how I know.

Been to TPL a lot recently. There is an AH-64 Apache reset facility there on the closed taxiway. It has a big runway for a class E. The FBO isn't the newest but it works. I'm not sure of any fees. If the location is good for you there's nothing wrong with TPL. You can check out some Apaches while you are there.

You can park your baby at my local airstrip, HYI. Class D, 3 runways, CAF museum, Redbird Simulators, and you can even shoot a few approaches without having to try and cycle in with a neverending stream of jet jockeys. :) Close to San Antonio, Austin, Lockhart BBQ etc.

But to answer your question directly, I think Temple would be easiest all around. You can avoid the R-6302's and Mt Hood MOA's. They're ALWAYS running helicopter training. 15/33 is beautiful with Belton Lake out your window. With Killeen, it's got a few more challenges, and your further from IH-35 for your journey South.

Last edited:
There seem to be a bunch of folks more familiar with TPL than I am, so they can correct me if things have changed, but when I stopped for fuel there within the last year, I learned there was no self-serve. Probably not a prob if you're going to land and park, but for the benefit of others who might read this, off-hours fueling is more expensive and time-consuming at TPL due to the call-out and associated fee.

Thanks, gents. I think I'll switch my plan to TPL. It looks like I'll have several rental car agencies to shop there.

Re Austin traffic, fortunately we will be driving through there on Saturday afternoon and will loop back Monday on 281 or on 16 to the west to hit Llano.

Back