Kidney stone -required paperwork

S

Stoner

i have a 9mm stone that will be removed by ureteroscopic laser lithotripsy next week. The CT scan also showed additional nonobstructing punctate left and right nephroliths.

I have a history of prior stones but none diagnosed in the last ten years. My current medical is good for the next ten months. What will I need so that my AME will be able to issue in office when it is time for my next physical?

Search this forum for Kidney Stones and then look for response ps by @bbchien, aka Dr. Bruce Chien.

This topic has come up several times over the years and Dr. Bruce has often shared what's needed for medical certification approval and what to expect from the FAA.

My empathy on the 9 mm boulder. My record was 5 mm, and I'm trying hard to not do any of that again. Because you had a CT, the FAA will insist on another CTs to "ensure" whatever is there isn't moving, even if the urologist says it isn't likely to move based on position. X-ray alone as the follow up won't cut it with the FAA.

This is the only reason I went BasicMed. I haven't had a recurrence in several years, and not since my last Class 3. If I do get another one, I want the return to flight clearance to be at the advice of my urologist, not the FAA's decision to empty my wallet for medically unnecessary testing.

search: FAA CACI Kidney Stones

That cleared up some of my questions but left another. Is this treated as a single stone (option B in the AME Guide) or does the report of “nonobstructing punctate left and right nephroliths” make it multiple or retained stones (option C).

The urologist told me that the punctate were too small to be considered stones, does the FAA also see it that way?

That cleared up some of my questions but left another. Is this treated as a single stone (option B in the AME Guide) or does the report of “nonobstructing punctate left and right nephroliths” make it multiple or retained stones (option C).

The urologist told me that the punctate were too small to be considered stones, does the FAA also see it that way?
they are “multiple and retained”...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back