Kidney Stone follow up - next steps?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - today was a good day. I went into the doctor for the first time after losing almost 40 pounds in the last year. I feel better, I look better, and a lot of the little niggles I was experiencing have gone away as well...yeehaw!

Anyway, if you don't recall, about 2 years ago, I had a batch of kidney stones. Not knowing any better, and being under the influence of morphine anyway, I allowed a CT Scan to be done in the ER. 3 stones were found, and I caught two of them. Never caught the third.

Six months later, I went in for another CT, and the Urologist said that he found one still in the kidney, and it was not static.

Six months later, I went in for another CT, and the Urologist said that he found one still in the kidney, and it was not static either.

Then I gave up.

Today, I asked the doctor for a referral to a Urologist, since I'm in a new town and I feel like my health has improved enough that there's at least a good shot that the stone is gone. He told me he doesn't need to refer me, and he can handle it for me. So he ordered up a CT scan, which will be happening later this week. I mentioned that the FAA would accept a KUB as well, provided it shows clear 6 months apart as well, and then this could be my last CT.

So we did the KUB there - the office had an xray machine on site. The doctor told me that he did not see anything, but also said "That doesn't really mean anything. Its surprising that the FAA still uses a KUB for anything related to kidney stones....is this the 80s?"

I laughed...explained that it was a way of "gaming the system" because its not like stones are a risk to flight safety anyway.

Blah blah blah, whatever, end of story -

So now, I have a clean KUB. If I get a clean CT scan as well, what do I need to physically bring with me to get my medical back - will a letter from the doctor suffice, or do I need to bring the actual scans?

Also, did I interpret correctly that if the CT scan shows something, 6 months from now I can get another KUB, rely on it to be clean, and be in the same boat as if my CT came back clean?

Oh, and btw, big thanks to Doc Bruce for getting me this far...I'd have never thought to have the KUB done against every normal doctor's advice. Its amazing the hoops to jump through for the FAA sometimes...

You may want to read up on CT scans! If you have any more you many not have to worry about your kidneys! Lots and lots of radiation. I would have seen a good urologist along time ago!

>>
I laughed...explained that it was a way of "gaming the system" because its not like stones are a risk to flight safety anyway.
<<

Don't take KS too lightly. FAA doesn't like retained stones because of the potential for "sudden incapacitation". Some of us have been "suddenly incapacitated" by them.

>>
<<

Don't take KS too lightly. FAA doesn't like retained stones because of the potential for "sudden incapacitation". Some of us have been "suddenly incapacitated" by them.

If you worry about it, there are thousands of people with retained kidney stones driving on the roads a feet away from opposing traffic at 60 MPH or more.
I never suffered from KS, how would it be if you were driving?, would you lose control of the car or would you be able to pull over safely? (asking for real). I could see the sense in this if you had a 5 minute warning or something like that. In a car that's enough to pull over, in a plane not so much.

If you worry about it, there are thousands of people with retained kidney stones driving on the roads a feet away from opposing traffic at 60 MPH or more.
I never suffered from KS, how would it be if you were driving?, would you lose control of the car or would you be able to pull over safely? (asking for real). I could see the sense in this if you had a 5 minute warning or something like that. In a car that's enough to pull over, in a plane not so much.

That's my point. I was disabled and in a lot of pain when I had KS. I could have landed a plane, albeit very sloppily if I had to.

Mine hit me at night. I had just crawled into bed and felt what I thought was some simple muscle spasms in my lower back. I sat up, then just made it to the bathroom where I spent about the next hour alternating between puking and lying curled up on the floor. Eventually my wife was able to get me to the ER. If I had been flying, I would have had no choice but to fight it and put the plane down immediately - I don't know how well it would have worked out.

That's why FAA makes a big deal out of proving you are clean.

NICK, IIRC you have a type of kidney stone that is difficult to see on KUB. You need an negative CT, but you also need metabolic intervention to make sure the upcoming CT will be negative (e.g, run the balance of stone creation vs dissolution toward dissolution).

If you get a negative CT that is all you need to bring to get your medical back.
KUB is great, CHEAP proxy for when nothing is seen, that's a great time to look with the CT, and should save you many interim CTs because if you see something on a KUB, DON'T BOTHER with the 5 rad CT, it'll be positive!.

If you have something on this CT, it is the same as on the prior CT you get your medical back- on an SI until it's totally gone.

Congratulations on the weight loss. It's probably making the difference. :)

NICK, IIRC you have a type of kidney stone that is difficult to see on KUB. You need an negative CT, but you also need metabolic intervention to make sure the upcoming CT will be negative (e.g, run the balance of stone creation vs dissolution toward dissolution).

If you get a negative CT that is all you need to bring to get your medical back.
KUB is great, CHEAP proxy for when nothing is seen, that's a great time to look with the CT, and should save you many interim CTs because if you see something on a KUB, DON'T BOTHER with the 5 rad CT, it'll be positive!.

If you have something on this CT, it is the same as on the prior CT you get your medical back- on an SI until it's totally gone.

Congratulations on the weight loss. It's probably making the difference. :)

When you say "that's all I need to bring" what exactly do I need to bring? Doctors note or a copy of the ct?

When you say "that's all I need to bring" what exactly do I need to bring? Doctors note or a copy of the ct?
If you are negative by CT, that is all the evidence I have ever needed.

"Airman is negative by the most accurate measure available". Of course I will ask to possess the record so it withstands scrutiny. But a negative CT pretty much speaks for itself.

If you have a retained stone unchanged from last one we need both reports and the whole record.

"Airman is negative by the most accurate measure available". Of course I will ask to possess the record so it withstands scrutiny. But a negative CT pretty much speaks for itself.

If you have a retained stone unchanged from last one we need both reports and the whole record.

I'm sorry - I'm being daft here. Remember, I'm in a brand new area, and no doctor here has any record of previous medical activity - so what do I need to bring with me if the CT is negative? Do I need to bring my medical file from both the original diagnosis, the follow up where I got the stone analyzed, and the following few appointments where multiple CTs found more stones, as well as the final diagnosis of a clear kidney?

Maybe just a note from the doctor saying "All clear"?

I just want to make sure I don't wind up deferred because I didn't bring everything I needed. Unfortunately, I don't have all of the records handy - I'll need to get whatever I need once I get this CT finished.

Nick, My post was VERY clear.
bbchien said:
Bring the CT report (if it's totally negative). But you need to find an AME who will clear you at the time of exam. Or you get deferred. He needs to call the agency.

I have no file on you and have no idea if you were denied, SI issued then withdrawn, or you just lapsed.

If you can't take my word for it, pull your Blue Ribbon Medical record from the agency, get your file from when you lived out west (all you have to do is send a fax) and I'll ask you to pay me to review it to get it right. You're gonna need the next last CT report to compare with if you have a retained stone see on CT and not on KUB, anyway. So get the record.

Never engage the agency without ALL the questions answered. That's how I get a/men requalified. Answer ALL the questions.

No "easy" button except if the CT is totally negative.

Last edited:
Nick, My post was VERY clear. Bring the CT report (if it's totally negative). But you need to find an AME who will clear you at the time of exam. Or you get deferred. He needs to call the agency.

I have no file on you and have no idea if you were denied, SI issued then withdrawn, or you just lapsed.

If you can't take my word for it, pull your Blue Ribbon Medical record from the agency, get your file from when you lived out west (all you have to do is send a fax) and I'll ask you to pay me to review it to get it right. You're gonna need the next last CT report to compare with if you have a retained stone see on CT and not on KUB, anyway. So get the record.

Never engage the agency without ALL the questions answered. That's how I get a/men requalified. Answer ALL the questions.

No "easy" button except if the CT is totally negative.

Please don't take offense, Doc, I am really just being daft because I don't understand the process here. My medical lapsed, and I was never denied.

I'm just confused because I was not understanding you - I think I get it now - if the CT is negative, I need to bring a copy of the CT Report (I presume I can ask for it from the doctor, right?) No need for a letter or anything, nor anything from any previous doctor, just a clear CT will do the trick.

If its positive, then I have some hoops to jump through...that part I figured. I'm looking for the easy "Clean CT" process should the cards align that way.

So - once the CT happens this week, if it is clear, I'll ask the doctor for a copy of the report that shows it clear. I can then call a local AME and ask them if they'll issue on the spot with a clear CT report, and if they say yes, then I can come in and get it all taken care of. If they say no, then I need to keep looking for an AME that will take care of it for me.

I would totally use you, Doc, but I don't know when I'd get the opportunity to travel to Illinois to do so. I feel like I'm finally on the cusp of getting past all of this, and I don't want to screw up by making a rookie mistake.

Airline flights to Chicago on United from around here are really cheap, Nick. I'd hop a flight and grab a rental car out to Peoria. It's a nice drive, just don't try to exit Chicago during rush hour.

I know Peoria (but not the airport) pretty well. I got seriously ripped off as a young man by their Chevy dealership screwing up the add-on ignition system in my 1968 Chevy van for me... when all it needed was a carb tweak. They nicely cut all the wires so short it couldn't be reinstalled too. Bunch 'a crooks. :)

At least the Doc isn't. :)

Mine hit me at night. I had just crawled into bed and felt what I thought was some simple muscle spasms in my lower back. I sat up, then just made it to the bathroom where I spent about the next hour alternating between puking and lying curled up on the floor. Eventually my wife was able to get me to the ER. If I had been flying, I would have had no choice but to fight it and put the plane down immediately - I don't know how well it would have worked out.

That's why FAA makes a big deal out of proving you are clean.

This. I've had 2, wouldn't not want to have been driving much less flying. The pain can be so intense it is very difficult to focus on anything else. I've heard mothers that have had them say it was more painful than natural child birth.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back