Kickers can score touchdowns too

Gotta love jr high football.

This season I was with a friend of mine watching his son play. His team was going to punt the ball. The center was low on the hike. The punter took the ball on the bounce, and took off to his right running towards the sideline trying to kick. After running halfway across the field, several of the opposing team just about had their hands on him. He did a U turn running towards the opposite sideline. About 5 yards from the sideline, he tried to kick the ball, and the ball hit a defender square in the face mask. Then the ball went straight back into the punters hands.

At the sound of the kick most of the players from both teams started running to where they thought the ball would be going. Instead, the kicker had the ball and was going to try to kick it again. The coach, standing on the side line about 10 feet away from the kicker, was screaming for him to run.!! But instead he kicks the ball. And it doesn't go downfield, it goes across the field to the opposite sideline. This is the sideline the opposing team is using.

All of the players took off down the field until the coaches get them to run in the right direction. By this time the ball is lying motionless, about 1 foot from the sideline. I am the only one still in the stands, laughing so hard that I almost fell out.

About this time most of both teams figure out where the ball is. Probably because most of the parents in the stands are now on the ground pointing and yelling. Both teams are stampeding towards the ball. I think at this point I realized that football history was about to be made.

Both teams do an Oklahoma style land rush to get the ball. During the melee someone knocks over the box holding the extra game balls. Ok, now there are 7 balls on the field. Both teams form a dog pile trying to get a ball. All the referees are blowing their whistle like there is no tomorrow. Coaches and parents are on the field trying to untangle the mass of players on the ground. The ref is trying to tunnel under everyone to spot the ball, or any ball. I am laughing so hard tears stream down my face.

Again the refs are blowing their whistles. The mad scramble is stopped, the players are separated. Each team is jumping up and down celebrating the recovered ball. The parents are told to leave the field. I am about to wet myself from laughing.

Obviously the refs are going to take the play into some consideration and repair to the far end of the field. There is talk that the refs should look at everyone's video recorder to see what happened. Now these jr high guys only play 8 minute quarters. After an hour the decision is made.

My friends sons team had 4 balls. The other team had 3 balls. Therefore the team with the most balls have possession. Since they didn't make the yardage for a first down, the ball goes to the other team on downs. But wait, there's more. A flag is on the ground. Seems both teams had too many players on the field at some point during the play. This is offsetting penalties and the play will have to be done over.

I laughed so hard I lost my breath. I can't stop hiccuping and there are no more tears left. This has been the most entertaining football game I have ever seen.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back