KHEZ Natchez

Terry Miller

Pre-Flight
Anyone fly IFR in and out of there?

If so........

Do you get your clearance from Houston or Greenwood?

If Houston, on the ground or in the air?

Houston Center issues clearances for departure from HEZ.

There is a remote transmitter on the ground at HEZ (co-located with the VOR) so you can talk to Houston from the ramp.

Say hi to Clint (airport manager) when you're there.

If you need ground transportation, give me a heads up via PM.

CTAF/UNICOM: 122.8
WX AWOS-3: 124.675 (601-446-8022)
  • APCH/DEP SERVICE PROVIDED BY HOUSTON ARTCC ON FREQS 120.97/299.6 (NATCHEZ RCAG).
  • COMMUNICATIONS PROVIDED BY MC COMB RADIO ON FREQ 122.1R & 122.2R.

Last edited:
So, I'll contact Houston on 122.1, listen on 110.0 for my clearance....

122.8 for take off, then contact Houston in the air on 120.97?

Thanks Steve.

I appreciate the ground transportation offer. I'll be doing my 250 miler for the instrument prep, so we'll be short on the ground and right back up for KAEX.

Lot of opportunities/options at HEZ for radio communication, despite being non-towered.

Unless you need to get an enroute weather update or re-file with FSS from the plane, just talk to Houston ARTCC on 120.97 (air or ground) to close/open an IFR flight plan (you'll be talking to them when you start your descent for the approach, anyway, if you are IFR inbound). If you call them on the ground for a departure clearance, expect a void time. If it's VMC, you can activate it in the air, unless your instructor wants the void time drill.

Talk to Greenwood FSS on 122.1 or 122.2 (air or ground) if you need to for the practice using the VOR split frequency, otherwise, I'd call them on the phone in the terminal if I needed an extended conversation. There is a DTN terminal in the pilot's lounge, too.

Give/get local traffic advisories on Unicom 122.8.

FWIW, the ILS for 13 at HEZ requires an ADF or DME as noted on the approach plate.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KHEZ

Some recommendations on radio phraseology/techniques...

http://www.faasafety.gov/ALC/libview_normal.aspx?id=550

Have a great flight. Unfortunately, the lady that use to cook burgers in the terminal for lunch retired last year...after nearly 25 years.

this is what natchez lloks like at daybreak on a chilly October morning...... beautiful......

Attachments

• stinson at natchez.jpg
    stinson at natchez.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 22
Looks nice enough to camp!

:)

DeeG said:
this is what natchez lloks like at daybreak on a chilly October morning...... beautiful......

...and this is what it looks like on a hot'n'hazy summer day...

Attachments

• Celia and Tommy at Natchez.jpg
    Celia and Tommy at Natchez.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 19
Steve,

Thanks again for the info.

I flew in with Houston, filed my return flight plan with them before going to advisory for landing.

Contacted Houston on the ground to get my clearance for return, with everything smooth and easy.

Even got a little airshow from Raymon in the F-18 while I was circling to land.

Steve said:
Looks nice enough to camp!

:)

HAHAHA..... Actually, it was a great place to camp. If the temps had stayed about freezing, it would have been perfect. (Or if I had a nice three season sleeping bag like Pete did.....)

I took that photo and put it on my computer, took out all the signs of 'modern' civilization.....towers, power lines, lights, fence, cars, etc. Now it looks like Natchez would have looked like when the Stinson was brand new. If I were more talented and had better software, I would stick in a few other planes of the era and make it look even better.

Glad things went well.

Natchez is my favorite airport in MS. Well equipped facility and friendly service, with minimal traffic congestion. You can often hear practice approaches going into Natchez at night, since it has multiple approaches available you can get a variety in one location. Now if I could only get the fuel at a discount... :)

If you ever return and have a longer stay give me a heads up.

Terry Miller said:
Steve,

Thanks again for the info.

I flew in with Houston, filed my return flight plan with them before going to advisory for landing.

Contacted Houston on the ground to get my clearance for return, with everything smooth and easy.

Even got a little airshow from Raymon in the F-18 while I was circling to land.

Back