KFCI? any good info?

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Mary and I are looking for a place to fly for the day on Sunday....I'm thinking the Richmond VA area. Looking for things to do. The tentative plan is KFCI Chesterfield Airport and brunch at the on field restaurant.

Any other ideas.....trying to head south for as much (heck, any) temperature relief as possible.

Last edited:
KFCI on Sunday? Bring your appetite for Southern cooking. They've got an all you can eat Southern buffet (fried chicken, pulled pork, BBQ ribs, greens, beans, the works) at the King's Korner right in the airport terminal building. Mmmm, good, and only like $8 (might be a couple more on Sunday with an expanded buffet)! Might even be tempted to fly there just to meet you for lunch.

BTW, they're closed on Saturdays as catering is their main business, and that's their busy catering day for the week -- not enough staff to keep the restaurant open with all the off-site work.

OTOH, Richmond International (KRIC) has the Virginia Aviation Museum on the field (park at the FBO at the far corner at the north end to be right next door -- can't remember if that's MillionAir or Richmond Jet), which is well worth the trip (even if it will be pretty cold for looking at the SR-71 they have outside). Food is about a 10-minute walk across the street from the museum, with a wide range of places to eat. Only place I've been beyond that is Richmond International Raceway, but the NASCAR season doesn't start for a another month.

Last edited:
KFCI on Sunday? Bring your appetite for Southern cooking. They've got an all you can eat Southern buffet (fried chicken, pulled pork, BBQ ribs, greens, beans, the works) at the King's Korner right in the airport terminal building. Mmmm, good, and only like $8 (might be a couple more on Sunday with an expanded buffet)! Might even be tempted to fly there just to meet you for lunch.

BTW, they're closed on Saturdays as catering is their main business, and that's their busy catering day for the week -- not enough staff to keep the restaurant open with all the off-site work.

OTOH, Richmond International (KRIC) has the Virginia Aviation Museum on the field (park at the FBO at the far corner at the north end to be right next door -- can't remember if that's MillionAir or Richmond Jet), which is well worth the trip (even if it will be pretty cold for looking at the SR-71 they have outside). Food is about a 10-minute walk across the street from the museum, with a wide range of places to eat. Only place I've been beyond that is Richmond International Raceway, but the NASCAR season doesn't start for a another month.

Yes, Sunday looks like the best wx, at least for now. I want to get the plane plugged in Saturday night and test out the Reiff heaters (oil and cylinders). RIchmond sounds like fun but maybe on a warmer day to check out the museum and walk for food.

Williamsburg also has a nice lunch place in the terminal

Ahhhh......nothing beats the smell of fresh baked bread at Charly's! Well, maybe their lunch comes close!

Yes, Sunday looks like the best wx, at least for now. I want to get the plane plugged in Saturday night and test out the Reiff heaters (oil and cylinders). RIchmond sounds like fun but maybe on a warmer day to check out the museum and walk for food.

Ahhhh......nothing beats the smell of fresh baked bread at Charly's! Well, maybe their lunch comes close!

Did you get a closer parking spot on the ramp?

Did you get a closer parking spot on the ramp?

No, but I am on the list to switch sides so I won't have to run an extension cord across the taxiway.. :frown2: ..bad mojo doing that. My plan for now is to tow 08R next to the Red Eagle building, cone off the wing tips and plug in the night before we leave. I'll move the plane after hours and be gone before they get in. Besides, it's easier to ask forgiveness then permission..... :D.

One of the guys I work with has a spot for me in a vacant hangar. I really want to use it but since I work here I'm thinking not a good idea. That's all I need is to get tossed out of the airport or even worse loose my job for free hangar space. The forgiveness/permission clause can't apply on this one. :nono:

How come every time I see this thread I get hungry for chicken?.

We are going to be heading down Friday for lunch then hop over to JGG and taxi ride over to the Williamsburg Winery to replenish home supplies.

Mom in law (age 83) decided she would ride along. I was asked how long the trip would take and do I check the winds. I suggested take a book and yes I always check the wx. She really seems to enjoy it all. She did ask if we could take a plate of fried chicken home for the old poop (father in law)....yep no problem.

Back