Key replacement on keyboard

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I am having a problem with "W" not not the type that must be posted in SZ . The "W" key on my Dell Laptop was getting funny. It took a decent amount of resistence to push down and the letter would not appear on teh screen without more effort than it took to type the rest of what ever I was typing. I tried to clean out under it and wound out popping it and that little rubber nipple under it out. I glued the nipple back but when I try to snap the key back in only the bottom snaps and connects. The top part of the key is not connected. How do I get the whole darn key back in place?

First off--you don't need to glue that nipple.. It's supposed to be loose (on about every keyboard I've seen..maybe yours is different?). Look closely at the tabs. Something probably broke off. Usually there are little plastic pins that point out on one side which snaps into a hole on the other side. They often bust off..and then..you're often looking at a new key or keyboard (check ebay).

Last edited:
what is the correct way to pull keys off a laptop, I have a slightly non-responsivespacebar. :)
i suspectritz crackerdetritis.

Just take it to your local Apple store and they'll replace the whole keyboard for fre.... Oh wait, you said Dell. Sorry. ;)

Can of compressed air usually helps solve crackerdetritis. (or so I've been told). ;)

Re: Key replacement on keyboard

Can of compressed air usually helps solve crackerdetritis. (or so I've been told).

proven to work here with cookiedetritis :thumbsup:

what is the correct way to pull keys off a laptop, I have a slightly non-responsivespacebar. :)
i suspectritz crackerdetritis.
Probably not very easy. Once upon a time my wife sent her Dell laptop back to Dell for a multitude of repairs, one of which was a cursor key that kept popping off. When DELL sent it back ... it was installed crooked.

Back