Kenmore Air's 75th Anniversary

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
How this micro airline has made it to its 75th anniversary

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/kenmore-air-seaplanes-anniversary/index.html

Think of Seattle, and what springs to mind? The Space Needle, for sure. Pike Place Market, almost certainly. For many, there's another classic sight in the Emerald City: the tiny seaplanes darting up and down, making a runway out of the water that surrounds the city.

Many of those planes -- the ones with a slick of bright mustard yellow along the side -- belong to Kenmore Air, a local airline. And if you think they look familiar, that's because they've been a temporary part of the city skyline for 75 years.

A 75th anniversary is a major achievement for any airline, of course -- especially after a year in which even major airlines have gone out of business thanks to the pandemic....​

Always kept my floatplanes there. My rating with them in 1965. Bob Munro was a saint.............

A few years ago, I accompanied my wife to a conference in Seattle. Had a day to kill so I got on one of Kenmores Beavers for the milk run around the San Juans. As I was going to be on board for the entire loop I had the chance to sit up front. 5/5 would do again.

Quite a few of Kenmore's planes flew over my house in North Seattle when I was growing up.

Back