Ken, nice mag!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Just read the latest Sport Aerobatics, and enjoyed your column. With my eyes, I doubt I'd ever get to a competition, but I imagine your first couple would be real intimidating, especially if folks were somewhat cold. For the good of the sport, I hope your readers take your words to heart.

I also enjoyed your article on cockpit gizmos, as well as the new series on recreational aerobatics, I can't wait to read the next article.

Vicki's column on how to serve and grow the IAC was also intresting, in all, one of the best issues since I've been reading.

Thanks, Bill. Sorry to say I'm done with Sport Aerobatics. It was kinda fun, but IAC simply does not have the budget to allow me to spend enough time on it, and I would hate to produce something half-baked, so I bowed out. I was working for less than flight instructor pay while turning down better-paying stuff, and I simply could not continue to do that. The May issue is/was my last one.

Ken Ibold said:
The May issue is/was my last one.

*sigh*

I sure hope the next person steps up and does a good job. I'd like to continue to support the IAC...

Sorry to hear that Ken. I, too, felt that issue was the best I'd read - made me start doubting my decision to let my subscription lapse. I still have a couple of issues to go - we'll see if they keep up the quality (or, at least, my interest!).

For the time being Vicki Cruse will be acting editor. (Anybody remember her publishing past?) I don't expect they will have much trouble finding someone, as there are lots of aviation writer types out there looking for a steady gig.

Bill Jennings said:
Just read the latest Sport Aerobatics, and enjoyed your column. With my eyes, I doubt I'd ever get to a competition, but I imagine your first couple would be real intimidating, especially if folks were somewhat cold. For the good of the sport, I hope your readers take your words to heart.
Bill, I agree that Ken is absolutely spot-on with his comments in his Editor's Log. He did an excellent job of making his point, and I hope others will take it to heart. As I contemplate going to my first competition, I worry about those same issues. It's very daunting, especially if you were to show up not having a mentor, not knowing anyone, not knowing what's expected of you or what to do next. And to show up in a simple, humble little Citabria amongst the Pitts, Extras, and other fancier acro mounts...well, it could be overwhelming. That's one reason why I attended aerobatic judges school in Kansas City. I met some great people there, joined their chapter, and feel like I'm not all alone out there anymore. If I stick with it, it will be my mission to help newcomers feel more welcome and help them through the process any way that I can.

Bill Jennings said:
I also enjoyed your article on cockpit gizmos
Did you recognize the Citabria on page 14? BTW, it will be anchored better when I start beta testing for Appareo. :)

Bill Jennings said:
...in all, one of the best issues since I've been reading.
As I told Ken, I also think it was one of the best, and that he will be missed as editor.

Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:
For the time being Vicki Cruse will be acting editor. (Anybody remember her publishing past?)
What did she publish? Was it a magazine?

Lots of hits on google for "vicki cruse" from EAA, sport class, IAC, etc...

Diana said:
Did you recognize the Citabria on page 14? BTW, it will be anchored better when I start beta testing for Appareo. :)
After Gastons, you might recognize the Pitts on pp 11-12, too.

Diana said:
Bill, I agree that Ken is absolutely spot-on with his comments in his Editor's Log. He did an excellent job of making his point, and I hope others will take it to heart. As I contemplate going to my first competition, I worry about those same issues.
Significant credit is due Chip for that log entry.

Ken Ibold said:
After Gastons, you might recognize the Pitts on pp 11-12, too.
Will you be doing that sequence on the card by then? :)

bbchien said:
Not in the Seneca II, for sure.... :eek:
Bruce, is it legal to spin the Seneca (intentionally)? Are there twins that you can legally spin?

Diana said:
Bruce, is it legal to spin the Seneca (intentionally)? Are there twins that you can legally spin?
Yes, I know, I'm talking to myself, but....

I was just watching Rich Stowell's Emergency Maneuver Training video a few minutes ago and happened to notice a twin in a spin. I don't know what kind it was, but it had a T-tail. What kind would that have been?

Diana said:

I know of no certified civilian twins that allow spins. I suspect that you could "legally" spin a slightly modified (drag chute, jettesonable door etc) Seneca as part of some sort of flight testing program.

Back