Kelly Aerospace Thermacool

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
So when I started my training, it was in October. Temps were always nice and the cabin heat kept me comfortable. Now the summer is here and in the humid places I will be flying to, am thinking that I REALLY need an air conditioner installed. I know that when I get up to altitude it is much more doable but down on the ground, I get hot fast, and I don't like hot as much as pigs don't like being bacon.

Is Kelly Aerospace Thermacool my only real option for a conditioned cabin? Does anyone know the best place to get a reasonable quote? And by reasonable, I know its an airplane and will be a ridiculous amount but if there is some that are less ridiculous, it would be nice to know!!

Open the doors and windows/
You can do the ice and a fan in the back seat thing.
We used to say, airconditioning in an airplane. Fly higher.
ITs mostly on the ground where you need it though.

Kelly systems are between $25 and $30K installed. I used to rent a 172 with Kelly A/C and it made Texas summers in the aircraft quite pleasant.

I made my own from a cooler, a 12v fan, nine of those reusable blue ice freezer blocks and a 4" PVC 90 degree elbow. Total price - under $50.

It makes it bearable until I can get up to altitude here in Arizona.

I love how anything aircraft related ends up being a $20k+ modification. While I feel there is a need for regulating certain upgrades for safety, this is one of them that seems a bit over the top. (I understand you are tapping into the electrical system and there are cg issues to be concerned with etc...) rant over.

Timbeck 2 sounds like he has the right priced system and there are some online tutorials for building the ice coolers. If you don't want to build your own, there are a couple of stores online that sell the ice coolers for about $300.

So when I started my training, it was in October. Temps were always nice and the cabin heat kept me comfortable. Now the summer is here and in the humid places I will be flying to, am thinking that I REALLY need an air conditioner installed. I know that when I get up to altitude it is much more doable but down on the ground, I get hot fast, and I don't like hot as much as pigs don't like being bacon.

Is Kelly Aerospace Thermacool my only real option for a conditioned cabin? Does anyone know the best place to get a reasonable quote? And by reasonable, I know its an airplane and will be a ridiculous amount but if there is some that are less ridiculous, it would be nice to know!!

If you want something between a box of ice and $25,000, check out Arctic Air's portables... They require power and a hot air exhaust attachment, both logbook entries. Depending on particulars, you may need a larger alternator, STC'd by PlanePower among others.

Paul

If you want something between a box of ice and $25,000, check out Arctic Air's portables... They require power and a hot air exhaust attachment, both logbook entries. Depending on particulars, you may need a larger alternator, STC'd by PlanePower among others.

Paul

Thanks for the heads up. This looks like a pretty cool option. I would probably not mind the cooler versions but lugging ice and water with me to the plane every trip does not appeal to me. This appears to solve that problem at 14% the cost. Of course that's not installed but there is a heck of a lot of wiggle room there!!!

Back