Keeping GA Alive

Great,the more pilots the better,just finished a morning of young eagle flying.

Sounds like Ashley is the only recipient of the scholarship. Did I miss it? Are there more? While it's cool for her, 1 more pilot isn't exactly going to "keep GA alive".

Sounds like Ashley is the only recipient of the scholarship. Did I miss it? Are there more?
I read it as she was the only recipient of this round, but I could be wrong.
Captain said:
While it's cool for her, 1 more pilot isn't exactly going to "keep GA alive".
The media exposure helps a little as well. Unfortunately the overall cost of obtaining a private pilot's certificate is a little high for a lot of people. Scholarships like this help with that, even if it's only one person at a time.

Flying is a very hard sell these days. Any exposure outside another airplane crash being reported on the news is a big plus.

I encouraged a fellow at work to pursue his pilot license as he enjoys flying.

Very cool. Wish I knew what I wanted to do when I grow up....

No kidding! You and me both!! Had someone told me the truth about flying, getting your pilot's license and pilot careers back when I graduated high school, I believe I would have been a professional pilot by now. Likely for the airlines.

I loved airplanes but thought that I couldn't be a pilot because I need glasses. I knew no one that was a pilot then and never thought to go to the airport and ask. By the time I found out the truth and started pilot training, it was too late to start a professional pilot track for me.

I'm sure one young eagles flight would have hooked me and my parents would have likely hated the idea at first, but come around and it would have cost them the same as my college education did anyhow. Maybe cheaper.

brian];1948950 said:
Flying is a very hard sell these days. Any exposure outside another airplane crash being reported on the news is a big plus.

$600+ round trip to Vegas with a little moderate mechanical turbulence thrown in when crossing Rollins Pass on a "good" day, and 5+ hours one-way, 6+ hours back, kinda takes the shine off of it for most folks.

Not me! But most. :)

(A co-worker asked once about a Vegas trip. I explained the above and he was instantly not interested. Haha. Now I can show him hard numbers from yesterday and today. I doubt he'll be taking up flying or passenger duties... Which if you think about it is what will naturally limit the ride-sharing stuff the FAA is so freaked out about...)

$600+ round trip to Vegas with a little moderate mechanical turbulence thrown in when crossing Rollins Pass on a "good" day, and 5+ hours one-way, 6+ hours back, kinda takes the shine off of it for most folks.

Not me! But most. :)

(A co-worker asked once about a Vegas trip. I explained the above and he was instantly not interested. Haha. Now I can show him hard numbers from yesterday and today. I doubt he'll be taking up flying or passenger duties... Which if you think about it is what will naturally limit the ride-sharing stuff the FAA is so freaked out about...)

:lol: People used to always "Hey, let's fly to XXX! What would that cost?" Then I tell them, "Never mind.":lol:

Last edited:
This is why I don't think Flytenow's business model would be viable even if the FAA gave their blessing.

:lol: People used to always "Hey, let's fly to XXX! What would that cost?" Then I tell them, "Never mind.":lol:

Yep, not to mention all the other issues, like weather and weight and balance. In the general public's eye, a private plane is just like a car with wings and the ride is just like an airliner.

Back