Keeping a fresh mind when hours are low...

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
I'm feeling a little down at the moment. I began my training in January, flew consistantly till my checkride in June, totalling up 41.3 at the end of my checkride. Since then, I've added another 14 hrs and also a checkout in a C172SP. I was ontop of the world the month of June and beginning of July, taking friends up flying and regularly going around the local area or trying new airports. At the end of June, I had over 100 landings in the prior 90 day period, was night current, and feeling good. :goofy:

Fast forward to Mid September now, and I have only 24 landings in the past 90 days, no longer night current, and flying about 3.5-4 hrs per month, usually a flight every two weeks to go someplace for dinner or a new airport. :rolleyes: I'm scheduled to fly this Wednesday, and the last Sunday of Sept, that's it at the moment. Flying the C172SP is nice, but at $140/hr wet (including tax and current fuel surcharge) my budget is not allowing me to get those XC distance flights in like I would hope. (My wife likes the C172 rather than the old C152) Further, although I am reading the forums and looking at ASF web programs, I feel that I'm losing touch. I do fine flying and with radio work when I go flying, and my passengers feel great after the flight, keeping my confidence up and knowing that I'm doing well.

I think I need to just pull out the study books again, and read a chapter here or there. Or review the POH for those emergency procedures,... maybe the GPS manual,...

Or,.. I need to find a cheaper ride so I can fly more. The C152's are great for flying, but are now up to $90/hr for a 40 year old plane. I'm thinking of getting checked out in a Diamond, as they are the same price as the 152, newer, and still look like fun.

Anyone else ever feel they are in a rut? What do you find helpful?

Since the time change is coming up in November, and it's getting dark early already, I'm going to get more instruction and get night current again,.. maybe in October.

Last edited:
Hang in there Rob. To stay night current I would go up and do my 3 full stop take offs and landings. Also...see if you can find a buddy to help pay for the flights.

You are just having a transition period from training and checkride prep to now being a pilot looking for the utility in flying. It can be a though transition, you might want to think about going back and doing some more training. But instead of cramming, take your time and spread it out over the next year. That way you are also leaving time for having fun. You can also get more involved with a group of pilots that do things together, like flyins, EAA, CAP, or USCG Aux. This gives you something to work on while getting to enjoy the company of other pilots and coming up with excuses to fly.

Or,.. I need to find a cheaper ride so I can fly more. The C152's are great for flying, but are now up to $90/hr for a 40 year old plane. I'm thinking of getting checked out in a Diamond, as they are the same price as the 152, newer, and still look like fun.

Diamond for the same price as a 152??? Go for it!

I've never flown the DA20, but I *love* flying the DA40. Sweet airplanes.

I've only ever felt "in a rut" for a single period since I became a pilot 5.5 years ago. Believe it or not, one of the things that helped me out of that rut was just going up in the pattern and trying to make my landings absolutely perfect. Realizing that even doing a landing REALLY well was still a challenge was good for me. Now, looking at every flight in terms of not only "What can I do" but "HOW WELL can I do it" keeps things a bit more fresh. :yes:

Of course, it also helps to get checked out in new airplanes, try new categories/classes (gliders, seaplanes, etc.), get an endorsement (High performance, complex, tailwheel, etc.), or go someplace new.

I also think you should look for some sort of a club or partnership type of deal. $140/hr for a 172 is ridiculous, even though it's becoming fairly common these days. However, I pay LESS than that per TACH hour on a 182 in the club. Flying's expensive enough without anybody making a profit!

As far as reading the books - Another trip through the AIM never hurts, and IIRC you're hoping to get your instrument rating in another year or so - Start reading about that stuff now, as there's a ton to learn. Questions? Hop on over to the "Cleared for the Approach" forum and ask 'em - I, for one, like to answer those kinds of questions because it keeps ME fresh! And as you know, the more you learn on the ground, the less you have to learn in the air at $140/hr!

Rob, I had this after I got my rating - and you know what kind of a pilot I am in terms of how many hours I fly now. I was trying to come up with reasons for flying and feeling pretty out of touch with things.

After a little while, reasons started coming up for me to fly more frequently. I dove into the instrument rating, and that certainly helped as well - it gave me a purpose.

Now, there are more reasons to fly. Having the instrument rating helps here. Today I flew some friends down to Ocean City, MD. In a 1 hour flight we did what would have taken them 4 hours of driving. But, that was a flight we couldn't have made VFR. In my case, I'm continuing and flying more.

Just keep at it. I agree with the aforementioned statement of going into your IR but taking your time with it, going up however often it fits into your budget. I get the feeling that for the kind of flying you do, there is no hurr to build hours or get ratings fast, so there's no need to push it. For me, going fast worked great, but my flying is a bit different.

Hang in there, and if nothing else we should go flying in the Mooney sometime. It's a real blast. :)

Rob - consider getting checked out in Sean O'Donnell's Sky Arrow. Last I checked it was all the way down in Woodbine, NJ, but I dunno now. It used to be at Wings. See http://phillysportpilot.com

That would be something new & different for you, and as someone who's fallen in love with that aircraft I can highly recommend it.

I will add my 2 cents that yes, learning to fly a new type airplane definitely keeps things more interesting.

Rob,

All good advice so far ...

My contribution is simple -- go out and fly for fun -- no mission -- every so often.

Get a feel for the airplane, bank it, stall it, fly over something different, take up somebody new -- whatever -- but just go fly once in a while and keep the sheer joy of flying in your noggin.

Sometimes we get so fixated on missions and ratings we forget how fun this really is.

Diamond for the same price as a 152??? Go for it!

I've never flown the DA20, but I *love* flying the DA40. Sweet airplanes.

I've only ever felt "in a rut" for a single period since I became a pilot 5.5 years ago. Believe it or not, one of the things that helped me out of that rut was just going up in the pattern and trying to make my landings absolutely perfect. Realizing that even doing a landing REALLY well was still a challenge was good for me. Now, looking at every flight in terms of not only "What can I do" but "HOW WELL can I do it" keeps things a bit more fresh. :yes:

Of course, it also helps to get checked out in new airplanes, try new categories/classes (gliders, seaplanes, etc.), get an endorsement (High performance, complex, tailwheel, etc.), or go someplace new.

I also think you should look for some sort of a club or partnership type of deal. $140/hr for a 172 is ridiculous, even though it's becoming fairly common these days. However, I pay LESS than that per TACH hour on a 182 in the club. Flying's expensive enough without anybody making a profit!

As far as reading the books - Another trip through the AIM never hurts, and IIRC you're hoping to get your instrument rating in another year or so - Start reading about that stuff now, as there's a ton to learn. Questions? Hop on over to the "Cleared for the Approach" forum and ask 'em - I, for one, like to answer those kinds of questions because it keeps ME fresh! And as you know, the more you learn on the ground, the less you have to learn in the air at $140/hr!

Kent, all great advice. I became reenergized when I began my IR training in June, 2 1/2 years after getting my PPL.

I pay $114/hr for a 172SP, by the way. Wet.

I love the DA 40 also and have a couple of hours in it, but it has so little knee room that I could never get comfortable. I understand you are also a tall guy, Kent - how do you do it? On the earliest models, the panel is so low I literally cannot get my legs under the panel. On a later model, I could fit, but it's not comfortable. I sat in a new one at AirVenture this year, and they didn't change the legroom much at all. Which ticks me off because if there was more leg room, I'd buy one. The view is like nothing I've ever seen, and the flying characteristics are very good.

I second Kent's suggestion to look for a good flying club to join (make sure it's a good one though, there are plenty of duds out there). I got lucky and joined what was hailed as one of the best run clubs in the country when I was pretty much in the same boat you're finding yourself now. The club not only offered reduced rates on the kinds of airplanes I wanted to fly, it also provided many opportunities to learn from fellow members, fun flying outings, and a sense of ownership that I think is fairly critical to becoming fully involved in flying.

It sure worked for me as that was over 3000 flying hours and 30 years ago.

Welcome to my world Rob. Sadly we do tend to spend readily on lessons but once we have the ticket financial realities set in. You should get checked out in the DA20 it is a fun little plane. Perhaps not great for Becky buy you will like it for yourself and perhaps a buddy.

Only problem with getting checked out in different planes a lot is your spending a lot of money on check outs.

Ted I don't think that Rob is looking for reasons to fly but looking for the $$$ to pay for what he wants to do.

I love the DA 40 also and have a couple of hours in it, but it has so little knee room that I could never get comfortable. I understand you are also a tall guy, Kent - how do you do it? On the earliest models, the panel is so low I literally cannot get my legs under the panel. On a later model, I could fit, but it's not comfortable. I sat in a new one at AirVenture this year, and they didn't change the legroom much at all. Which ticks me off because if there was more leg room, I'd buy one.

If I show you, will you buy me one too? :D

I do push the rudder pedals ALL the way forward. I understand that on some of the early (2001-2003 or so) models there was less room, but I first flew one in December of 2003 after they'd made the change. I've actually noticed the short headroom more than the short legroom.

The view is like nothing I've ever seen, and the flying characteristics are very good.

Yup. :yes:

Ted I don't think that Rob is looking for reasons to fly but looking for the $$$ to pay for what he wants to do.

Yes, I was getting that, too. When I flew my mom down to Virginia to drop her off (10 hours in one day) she couldn't believe what it cost - and that was at my rate, which is as cheap as you'll find. The financial realities go doubtly so when someone else is renting out the plane for the purposes of making money.

With the number of you there looking for a means to fly relatively inexpensively, I can't help but wonder if there isn't some way you can put your mutual interests together for this. The Mooney deal that has come up for me basically came because some friends wanted someone else to help with the ownership costs.

Last edited:
Get a feel for the airplane, bank it, stall it, fly over something different, take up somebody new -- whatever -- but just go fly once in a while and keep the sheer joy of flying in your noggin.

Sometimes we get so fixated on missions and ratings we forget how fun this really is.

I certainly agree to this point, especially since my flying has become so mission oriented. Just going up because I want to doesn't happen all that much, but then again I tend to be the sort of person who, if there's not a mission, I probably have other things to do.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm working on trying to find better cost productive solutions to flying, and as a single income family (my twins are turning 4 now and my wife is just getting back to work parttime) it get's a little close here and there to keep justifying burning holes in the sky, so I try to make my trips to Reading, Lancaster, Blairstown, for a place to eat and some time away from the kids with my wife. This lets her get some time away, and I get to share something I love with her.

FWIW, the 172 is 119.99 / hr wet, but with tax and a 12.99 / hr fuel surcharge, it adds up. they are great planes though and well taken care of.

I love flying, and I'm not going anywhere,... you can count on that. The IR ratiing will come when I get the money and hours built up to go for it.

Thanks again,... see you guys soon...

Last edited:
A great way to save money, keep flying, and keep your brain exercised is to take up gliding. Not much utility, but it is a blast, it can be quite inexpensive once you get into it, and it will keep those basic skills nice and sharp.

Thanks. This past wednesday was a non-mission oriented flight, just go out and have fun (but come back with less than 2.0 on hobbs!) flight. Ended up at Hazelton and then for dinner with some POA'rs at Kutztown (read about it in the Cool Places to Fly forum).

Gliding is intriguing, and I did a little in College. It will keep skills sharp that's for sure. Maybe next summer I'll take a few lessons, we'll see how things work out by then.

Rob

(anyone else getting the Arrrr at the beginning of each post? I didn't type it, but it showed up, like this thread is pirate themed or something)

Gliding is intriguing, and I did a little in College. It will keep skills sharp that's for sure. Maybe next summer I'll take a few lessons, we'll see how things work out by then.

I would argue it probably increases your skills and helps you with power-off operations. Certainly it makes it slightly less of a concern when the big spinny thing in front stops spinning.

I've somewhat resisted the glider phenomenon, but I'm thinking that I may get started on it if I found a group that was local enough where I could take lessons and get involved. Certainly the cheapest flying you'll ever do, and also the cheapest rating you can get!

(anyone else getting the Arrrr at the beginning of each post? I didn't type it, but it showed up, like this thread is pirate themed or something)

ARR!!!! Today be national talk like a pirate day! Embrace it, scallywag! ;)

matey id say you oughtta get checked out in that diamond. i flew one with that scallywag Jesse at Gastons and they are great handling airpalnes. if the wench complains that she likes the 172 better, make her pay the difference :D

I can always suggest joining and participating in the ConUS challenge at www.goflyamerica.org (shameless). Its free, and gives a good reason to get out and go places.

For me, when I got to the point you were at, I started my personal (failed) challenge of trying to land in every airport in New Mexico. It got a story in AOPA Flight Training Magazine too.

You're at a tough time as a pilot. You could start working on your Instrument Rating, or try to find the true use of your PPL. Either way, you gotta find something, or you will fly less and less and start to lose interest.

Ye Scallywag!

Definitely check out the DA20. They're great. Tell your wench to sit beside ya and not carry too much plunder as the airplane has limited cargo room.

On the subject of DA40 and leg room, I'm 6'3" and can't put my legs all the way straight, but it's not uncomfortable. Seating in a diamond is somewhere between a Mooney (where your butt is practically on the floor and your legs are straight out, and there IS room) and a Cessna where you are almost sitting in a conventional chair. My knees are up a bit but they aren't bumping anything and they don't get in the way.

Back