KEDC vs KGTU

jeremyk13

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jeremyk13
I'm planning on heading over to Round Rock for Thanksgiving and would appreciate any recommendation between Austin Executive vs Georgetown Municipal.

After almost a year of working up the courage, my fiance agreed to fly with me again. Our first flight together was out to Brehnam for lunch during peak traffic (probably not the best idea). Though she enjoyed the flight out, the time in the pattern plus the heat made for a less than great experience by the time we landed.

The plan is to head out after the sun goes down from Sugar Land, find some altitude to keep it cool(er), land at either KEDC or KGTU, and drive to Round Rock with my cousin. KEDC would be closer to Round Rock, but my gut is telling me that having a tower will help avoid excess pattern time.

Thoughts? Thanks in advanced for your help.

Always had a great experience at EDC, little traffic
but its been a year since I was there.
Rental car availability?
Oh, I rented once during Austin raceday and found out after the fact that it was about $150/day :(

Either airport is a good choice, great FBOs but GTU has MUCH cheaper avgas.
As for rental car availability, I cannot provide any information, sorry.
EDC is definitely closer to RR but GTU is a cool airport too. :)
Both airports charge a reasonable overnight fee ($10/night +/-) and have great line guys. Tell them Lou says hi. :)
And if you land at GTU, come by my hangar to say hi, I might be there (doing annual right now :( ).

FWIW, why after sundown (to keep it cooler)? It's fall now, not 115F anymore. :)

... but my gut is telling me that having a tower will help avoid excess pattern time.
If you read the A/FD (or "chart supplement"), it says that EDC does not allow touch-n-goes. IOW, no student training. It is an in-n-out facility, traffic pattern is pretty non-existent. Be careful turning base and final, those pesky rich people tend to come in hot on a 15-mile final at 250kts. :) So make sure you have enough spacing.

No rental car needed. My cousin lives in Round Rock and will meet us at the airport.

Looks like the tower won't really make a difference since the A/FD for GTU says that the tower closes at dusk. GTU is still winning right now as it looks like I can tie-down for $5 a night (assuming the website is up to date). Fuel isn't really an issue since I'll be leaving with full tanks, which gives me about 6 hours of endurance for a 2 hour round trip flight.

As for night vs day, I'm trying to stack everything to my advantage to make sure she doesn't get sick again. On commercial flights, she always puts the sunshade down, and has the air on full blast. Colder and darker = better. I've also found that night flights tend to have smoother air.

EDIT: After calling GTU, the tower is open until 10 and since it's a holiday, I can tie-down for free. I think we have a winner!

Last edited:
You will find the tower at GTU to be very friendly and helpful. Are you going to tie down with the city? It is near the pumps. I have a T Hangar with GTU Jet but not sure as to what they charge for a tie down...they might have a space to put you inside the hangar if you wanted. There is construction ongoing at the airport but it is really no problem. Welcome to the area for your visit.

If the A/FD says that the tower closes at dusk, it needs to be updated. I can report it to the city manager and he can deal with the FAA. :)
The GTU tower is open 0700-2200 local time. Every day. If you arrive after dark, the taxiing might be interesting with the construction, if you are unfamiliar with the airport. Expect a crossing rwy turnoff.
EDC has no tower and usually no traffic. A big major rwy and 1 taxiway. And 1 FBO.
Tie-downs at GTU were $15/night last summer. But call them for the most recent information. We all know how unreliable and outdated aviation webpages usually are.

I called GTU and was able to get some good information.

The tower, as you said, is open until 2200 local. Since I'll be landing "after hours" (1930 local), and leaving the evening of Thanksgiving, the city tie-downs will be no charge. Sounded like there were 6 tie-downs with the city.

Looking at Google Maps, I'm guessing they're near the taxiway Alpha and Juliet intersection?

upload_2016-11-22_19-50-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-22_19-52-37.png
    upload_2016-11-22_19-52-37.png
    666.3 KB · Views: 7
I believe you're correct as to their general location. Juliet is closed due to construction. The fuel pumps (which you said you would not need) are to the left of the terminal looking from the runway. The parking spots are just to the right side. I cannot tell you about tie downs but I believe they are provided. Have fun. Weather looks good. We are going to try to go to Sugarland for the day Thursday ourselves.

Like Lou says, either EDC or GTU is fine. GTU will have transient tiedowns at the main terminal and gas will be much cheaper: currently $3.15/gal. Check your NOTAMS before leaving as they will be closing 18/36 at some point for construction -- might not happen for a few weeks though.

If you land at EDC, watch out for rattlesnakes in the grass. I found this guy last Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_20161117_201110.jpg
    IMG_20161117_201110.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 17
KEDC is a nicer FBO with super customer service. KGTU is a massive training airport, with a nearly full pattern from dawn to dusk on most days. There probably won't be that much training on Thanksgiving, but I have to think that if you come in late there might not be a free tiedown for you.

Here is the city terminal at KGTU:

Georgetown, Texas, USA by Jim Howard, on Flickr

Here is an Archer under the huge canopy at KEDC:

Chandelle Flying Club Archer @ KEDC by Jim Howard, on Flickr

+1 for EDC. I place high value on service/experience, have always had great experience there. Agree with the one post that mentioned high rental car price... Perhaps only downside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back