KBJC ILSs

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Denver people, there are two ILSs for 29 and they have different cat A minimums. I bet someone knows immediately why one is so much higher, and can save me pouring over the charts to find the differences. Is it just that you can go lower on one, only if you are able to make the higher climb gradient required by the lower-minimums missed?

Thanks.

The approaches appear identical other than the mins it would seem. The only thing I know special about the Y version is that it is mentioned in the lost comm procedures for one of the STARS. Don't know if it has any other operational use other than that.

The notes on the last change mention obstacles in the final approach..perhaps you get the Y at night rather than just NA-ing it at night like so many otheres.

Last edited:
Denver people, there are two ILSs for 29 and they have different cat A minimums. I bet someone knows immediately why one is so much higher, and can save me pouring over the charts to find the differences. Is it just that you can go lower on one, only if you are able to make the higher climb gradient required by the lower-minimums missed?

Thanks.

They have different minimums for all approach categories.

The "Z" has standard ILS minimums because of the required climb gradient. The couldn't put the climb gradient and non-climb gradient minimums on the same chart because of the necessity to chart remote altimeter setting minimums on the charts.

Seems like it would be exceedingly easy to reduce the confusion with a brief mention about it on these plates!

Seems like it would be exceedingly easy to reduce the confusion with a brief mention about it on these plates!
Actually it does. The Z approach has an asterisk and the note "Missed approach requires a minimum climb of 240 feet per NM to 8900." I guess they assume that you know the normal missed approach gradient is 200 feet per NM.

Actually it does. The Z approach has an asterisk and the note "Missed approach requires a minimum climb of 240 feet per NM to 8900." I guess they assume that you know the normal missed approach gradient is 200 feet per NM.
I find a lot of pilots need to be reminded about the required climb gradients on departures, enroute (lost comm/MEA) and missed approaches during instrument refresher training. Anyone reading this who is scratching their head about those numbers should drag out the Instrument Procedures Handbook and do a bit of review before their next IFR flight. ;)

It must not be widely known if the ASF actually had to produce a quiz about it!

Back