KAZO - Air Zoo. Anyone ever been to it?

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Thinking about going to KAZO (Kalamazoo/Battle Creek) to go to the air zoo (www.airzoo.org)

Website makes it seem interesting but was looking for opinions/reviews.

Went there with the Ninety-Nines a few years back, and found it interesting. Also had a docent take us over the the restoration hangar. I've been meaning to do a return visit.

It's really kinda scary how small the aviation world is... remember this, Grant?? LOL... you and Leslie are in my scrapbook even before I found this forum. Hard to believe we all had lives before PoA, huh?? :eek:

100_2440.jpg

I've was there 6 or 7 years ago and thought it was interesting. I also went for a flight in a Ford Trimotor which was giving rides there.

It's really kinda scary how small the aviation world is... remember this, Grant?? LOL... you and Leslie are in my scrapbook even before I found this forum. Hard to believe we all had lives before PoA, huh?? :eek:

100_2440.jpg
Wow, I admit that I had totally forgotten that you were there with us, Cynthia and Ralph! Note, though, that I was wearing a PoA cap!

It is a very vibrant, small museum. Lots of interactive stuff for kids. Sometimes, docents open the cockpits to pilots. Damn that Bf-109 cockpit was small!

I think it's a good place to visit. I went as an A&P student. Our class was given a scavenger hunt to do while there. It was looking for errors or anomalies in the way things were put together. We even found a few the instructor hadn't seen yet. Most were minor details.

We did get a tour from one of the guys there. Learned that "museum quality" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Looks can be deceiving.

They do good work though. I'd go back if I was in the area and had time.

@bgdriveway - Being in Alaska I think you are in a better place then near Michigan! :) Wish I was near there instead of here!

I think it's a good place to visit. I went as an A&P student. Our class was given a scavenger hunt to do while there. It was looking for errors or anomalies in the way things were put together. We even found a few the instructor hadn't seen yet. Most were minor details.

We did get a tour from one of the guys there. Learned that "museum quality" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Looks can be deceiving.

They do good work though. I'd go back if I was in the area and had time.

'Museum Quality' IME means it has the correct paint scheme.

Thinking about going to KAZO (Kalamazoo/Battle Creek) to go to the air zoo (www.airzoo.org)

Website makes it seem interesting but was looking for opinions/reviews.

Lots of airplane stuff.

Get there early if you want to play in the 2 axis (Pitch, roll - 360 degrees each way) simulators (the line gets long).

I've driven there, but not flown, so I can't comment on the tiedowns.

Also, when I was there interesting ground vehicles were displayed with some of the planes
World War I aircraft with early motorcycle decked out as used by couriers
World War II aircraft with Army jeep that had a wire cutter to save drivers head
SR70 with DeLorean

It was called an air zoo because almost all of the aircraft had animal names

If you are looking for Museum Quality airplanes, try the National Museum of the USAF at WPAFB. I have a personal connection with a few of the planes there and not the ones in the pre-WWII areas.:D

Closest GA Airport is I19.

Cheers

'Museum Quality' IME means it has the correct paint scheme.

Yeah, that'd be about right. And the paint doesn't have to be right stuff, just the right color.

I'll just say that I wouldn't trust some of those tail hooks. 4" PVC pipe is a little weak in my mind.

The trip was a success! Got to log 1.2 XC time. (husband flew home so he could get some xc time as well) $8 admission. We got the free tour guide (guy that was a medic in the Navy) he talked about the planes for 2 hours. We got stickers that showed we flew in so we could go back out to retrieve our airplane. They say not may people fly in there which is a shame it's a nice airport with nice facilities!

Back