KAUS

texasag93

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
texasag93
I am looking for someone based out of KAUS.

I fly there regularly. I sometimes park overnight and sometimes just drop off the kids.

Is there somewhere I can tie down instead of Signature or Atlantic?

They charged me $10 the other day to drop off my son.

I do not mind the charge, but I also went back the next week and was quoted no overnight fee with 15 gallons of gas.

When I got there and bought 22 gallons, I was settling up the next day and was billed the overnight fee and the girl looked at me like I was making it up.

I am just looking for options if their inconsistent billing becomes a regular thing.

Could you make use of EDC or GTU?

EDC is the way to go. I base there and honestly unless your kids live way south will be just about equal travel time from AUS.

Really no other FBO's on the field. You can try further down maybe with one of the flight schools, but I don't know what luck you would have. I would try and sell you on San Marcos (HYI) because traffic coming north is much easier to deal with, but EDC is closer to Austin proper.

I wish I knew the FBO operators at AUS better, but I only interact with them rarely.

Last edited:
+ 1 for EDC if it isn't too far. Great FBO with some really nice crew cars for in-town trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My parents live in South Austin. I was born and raised there.

I got the hell out when I turned 18 only to return when necessary to make the parents happy. This includes visits from our family and kids spending time with them.

45 minutes to KEDC, 45 minutes to KHYI, 20 minutes to KAUS.

KEDC is great. I fly in there when I can. I used to hunt near there in high school.

I lived in San Marcos for 2 years. Great airport. Good gas prices from the FBO went away, FYI.

Be nice to the girls and get on a first-name basis. They'll waive stuff for you.

Otherwise, you're just another guy who needs to pay his bill.

Also, if someone makes a promise, I get a name or some other form of verification for the next employee I'll be dealing with.

Is there somewhere I can tie down instead of Signature or Atlantic?

Sadly, no.

I've flown out KAUS Signature for almost ten years. I can say for sure that if call their operations manager, James Orefice, he will fix any incorrect charges that may have occurred.

My son started there this year and I've been going to Austin Exec which has been great. The TOLL roads however are a pain as you'll received 3 separate bills sent to you by license plate. There's a way in without the tolls, but I haven't done it yet. Parking fee is still $10 whether you fuel or not, so might as well max out at Llano where it is much cheaper.

Lake side airport is east of UT Austin by about 25 minute drive time, but I have no info about that field.

San Marcos (KHYI) is an excellent towered field, 2 FBO's and no parking fee. Close to Austin as well.

If you DO decide to do the HYI route, make sure you talk to John Koenreich at the Redbird FBO. That guy is what a all FBO managers should aspire to be. If he doesn't tell you the best joke you've heard all day, slap him and tell him it's from me.

hehe

Back