Display name:
Fly Right
aborted takeoff in Brussels

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24815446/

4208709.jpg

4208665.jpg

4208839.jpg

Last edited:
I sure hope this isn't the one they used to film that Mythbusters episode! I'd like to see pictures, because I have difficulty believing "split in two", at least with the images that phrase conjures up.

Thanks Greg! Yup, I think I'd classify that as split in two! It reminds me a little of the A340 picture Kenny posted where it went over the noise barrier and the nose fell forward. I think these 747's just really want to be Concordes!

They did say there were four injuries. Hope they aren't serious.

The translation for the upper section:
Horror start in Brussels: A cargo plane during the Abhebens start at the end of the runway broke apart. Four crew members of the Boeing 747 were slightly injured.
For the body below the picture:
The machine left the freight centre to clock 13.30. Then the accident happened when the talk: The Boeing had problems in the air and broke at the end of the runway into two parts.

The fire brigade was deployed, the havarierte machine was not on fire. The wings were a precaution with foam eingedeckt because the tanks are still full. The crew was able to slip through to safety as a witness against the Flemish television station VRT said.

The machine, a Boeing 747 belonged to the U.S. company Kalitta Air from the U.S. state of Michigan and was on his way to Bahrain. For the cause of accident was initially have no information. The fire brigades of Brussels Zaventem and Vilvoorde were called to assist.
It's not perfect but it gives a clue!

Of course, it was this picture that caught my eye on the same page. I vaguely recall the 747 photo:
9.jpg

Ya gotta admit... Germany builds great airplanes and more. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The crew was able to slip through to safety as a witness against the Flemish television station VRT said.

I like the way they handle their news media over there... ;)

A very odd thing to happen to a 747, one of the more reliable aircraft. Too many hard landings or too heavy freight. Well used and abused freight dog.

Kalitta runs a pretty thin operation. In other words they get every last mile out of every plane.
When the said the lost an engine over Lake Michigan a few years back, they meant they REALLY lost an engine. I think it's still at the bottom of the lake.

The flight crew and everyone down range of the departure end of that runway just burned through all 9 lives....:eek:

Greg

Take another look at the picture: it's split in three. That's one heckuva tail strike! It'll be interesting to see what the primary cause is.

Regards,
Joe
Split in two.... TWICE! :) It will be interesting!

Obviously the front part aborted and the back wanted to continue.;):D

I believe their base of operations is Willow Run AP in Michigan. Seen their AC when flying to Thunder Over Michigan

Gary

I got this off Dutch newswires:

Das Airoplane vas abgebroket. Somting goed not gut und dann es off ende des Runvay gewennt und vas felltopieces.

:)

No worries, Joe Patroni will get 'er out of there.

"You might fly these things but I take them apart and put them back together again. If you had any guts we'd be on the runway by now."

Yikes! ANd I'm flying to Brussels next week. I hope that doesn't happen to my jet.

Two things, don't wear polyester and don't put your hands down when you get close to the bottom.
Ron

Greg, what is this thing? The mind wants to make it the start of a crack but surely not. A flight photographed not very long before the ship split open.

Attachments

• 9h5ctc.jpg
    9h5ctc.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 43
Greg, what is this thing? The mind wants to make it the start of a crack but surely not. A flight photographed not very long before the ship split open.
It certainly seems to be in about the right position. Maybe it's some appendage that acted as a structural weak point?

Investigation update:

The Belgium Accident Investigators of "Service public fédéral Mobilité et Transports" reported, that flight data and cockpit voice recorders have already been analysed by the NTSB.

According to the data derived from the FDR, the airplane initially accelerated normally down runway 20 under a constant acceleration until a momentary loss of power by one engine, which was accompanied by an explosion witnessed both by the crew and air traffic controllers at the tower of Brussels. The loss of power and bang occured at around V1 speed (maximum speed, at which decision to reject takeoff can be safely taken).

Two seconds after the bang all four engines were brought to idle and the airplane decelerated "vigorously", the slow down continuing until the final position 300 meters past the runway end. According to FDR thrust reversers were not used in the deceleration.

All four engines were inspected. All engines were running at the time of full stop, no catastrophic damage had occured to either of the engines, no casings were punctured, all 4 engines remained attached to the wings. The outer engines (#1 and #4) turn freely, whereas the inner engines (#2 and #3) are blocked. All thrust reversers were found in the stowed position.

Especially engines #3 and #4, the right hand engines, were inspected with an endoscope, though very incomplete at this stage. The inspections however failed to reveal any damage, all compressor and turbine blades are in position and show no damage in both low pressure and high pressure compressors and turbines. The engines will be torn down in an appropriate workshop for further examination at the table under the presence of the Belgian AAIU.

The examination of the airframe and structures did not reveal any catastrophic damage prior to the final impact, when the airplane fell about 4 meters before coming to full stop just before the railway tracks. The airframe broke up in three parts upon that impact.

The cargo pallets did not move significantly. The cargo will be weighed to determine exact takeoff and stopping distance.

The investation team is also interviewing first responders like fire fighters and policemen. The Belgian AAIU expects, that the investigation will last 6 to 12 months before a final report will become available.

Back