Kalispell MT ?

schomburg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dick Schomburg
Flying a 182 into S27 on 12 August for a few days with friends, and would appreciate any pointers. Routing planned is VFR via Coeur d'Alene and up the Clark Fork river past Thompson Falls, then north along Flathead Lake.

Thanks !

Dick Schomburg
Hillsboro, Oregon

schomburg said:
Flying a 182 into S27 on 12 August for a few days with friends, and would appreciate any pointers. Routing planned is VFR via Coeur d'Alene and up the Clark Fork river past Thompson Falls, then north along Flathead Lake.

Thanks !

Dick Schomburg
Hillsboro, Oregon

It's hard NOT to find something interesting out there abouts. From Flathead Lake, just a few minutes east over the Flathead Mountains takes you to Scaffer Meadow airstrip in the Great Bear Wilderness. Not too difficult (always watch DA and your gross weight) and no roads for miles. Usually a few planes and often a few grizz too with moose, deer, mountain lion, mountainsheep, wolves, wolverines, etc.

Spotted Bear and Meadow Creek are cool too but have road access.

Videos & still PIX at: mountainflyingvideos.com

schomburg said:

Thanks !

Dick Schomburg
Hillsboro, Oregon
Red Eagle Aviation is a great little FBO at S27, they have self serve fuel or they will bring a truck over to the transient tie-downs on the other side of the runway.

Careful of the towers on the approach end of runway 31 - keep your approach a bit high. If winds favor 13 then after takeoff or go-round stay a little right of the runway centerline 'till you get past the towers.

I'm jealous, say hi to my airplane while you are there! (me in Alaska, plane in Kalispell.)

If you are going to fly over Glacier Park keep in mind the firefighting TFR in effect on the east side. For that matter there is one just east of Bonners Ferry / north of Thompson Falls.

There are some great grass strips around if you want to get some grass landings in - Whitefish (58S) and Ferndale (53U.)

schomburg said:

Thanks !

Dick Schomburg
Hillsboro, Oregon

Only one suggestion:

Take me! Take me! Take me! :D That sounds like a beeeeee-you-tiful flight. Y'all have some excellent scenery out that way.

Hmmm... Maybe I need to do a west coast flying trip.

alaskaflyer said:
I'm jealous, say hi to my airplane while you are there! (me in Alaska, plane in Kalispell.)

Why is your 170 at S27?

Back