Just starting.

Sandman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sandman
Anyone have advice for someone who is 40 years old and just now thinking about getting my PPL? I had taken a discovery flight 2 weeks ago and fell in love with the sky. I've jumped out of airplanes when I was younger, both military and civilian, but never flown in the left seat till that day. It was a great feeling.

age, shmage. got my 5th lesson coming up on Friday and got u by a year or two (there's 800 days in a year, right?). DO IT!

Thank you. I want to train to a CFII.. Still young enough?

Don't be in a hurry. Getting your PPL isn't a competition. Just because you hear some 17 year old kid just got his doesn't mean anything. Do it for you/your family and enjoy the process. It's a blast!

Started two weeks before my 50th birthday. 16 hours in, My ONLY regret is that I didn't discover the possibility earlier. If you loved it, you're not going to be able to suppress the urge. Even if you talk yourself out of it now, it will come back years later and you'll share my regret. If you can, go for it now.

Bring a fat stack of cash to your first lesson.

Also fly as much as you can with who ever you can (assuming they are a safe pilot). Bum rides around the airport, fly in the back seat with your CFI and someone else in the left seat. Learn everything you can. Ask questions, even stupid ones.

Last edited:
Anyone have advice for someone who is 40 years old and just now thinking about getting my PPL? I had taken a discovery flight 2 weeks ago and fell in love with the sky. I've jumped out of airplanes when I was younger, both military and civilian, but never flown in the left seat till that day. It was a great feeling.
Advice? I did it at 39 (which I still am!). Here is some advice:

1) Don't put time limits on yourself. It takes as long as it takes. Have fun learning.

2) Don't compare yourself to the 19 year old 8 hour solos. You have superior judgement anyway!

3) Find a cranky old guy to teach you if possible

4) Fly at least twice a week while training. Might have to schedule 3+ times per week if the weather gets unpredictable or if there are aircraft maintenance issues. If you fly less often, your ticket will cost more.

5) If you can, try to take time off / flex work schedule when the weather looks like it might be good. Be prepared to cancel a lot for weather.

6) There is no six.

7) Stick with the same type of aircraft you are training in until your test. The next bigger aircraft might seem like fun, but it might throw you off for your practical.

8) Welcome to the club!

What do you want to do with your cert? And where do you live?

I started at 45. When I mentioned that to the chief instructor for the club I was in he told me he started at 56.

If it is high enough priority compared to the other things in your life you can make it work. It was a lifelong dream for me and I am delighted to be able to do it.

Go for it! You won't be younger next year.

John

I started my training last summer at 40 and finished up last month. I started with only being able to get in one lesson a week due to both mine and instructor scheduling issues. It gave me a fun taste, gave me time to study and do lots of reading on my new hobby, but wasn't moving me forward very fast. I finished up by doing three day a week training for five weeks which was busy but much more productive. That took and understanding wife and boss to make happen as well as a hefty chunk of my savings account.

I started my PPL training in mid 2011 at the young age of 63, didn't rush it and got my ticket in October 2012. Now enjoying the privileges.

Age is certainly not a barrier, just go enjoy you're training and the whole new world you will experience as a member of a very exclusive club makes it worth every penny.

To ChrisK,
I want to train other people and also learn as much as I can about flying. I live in Montgomery, Texas but one day would love to move back to Alaska and fly there.

Thank all of you for your advice.

Go for it. I started at age 32, so I was a spring chicken compared to you.

Bob Gardner

I did it at age 39. Now (three years later) have had my IFR for a year and am looking at my multi-engine. Best thing I've ever done for myself.

I live in Montgomery, Texas but one day would love to move back to Alaska and fly there.

I think we learned on another recent thread that you don't need a PPL to fly in Alaska... :goofy:

I got my ticket when I was 39 GO FOR IT! I love every minute of it!

Montgomery TX... Hmmmm, need to look that up. If you're ever out near Big Bend let me know and we'll go fly:yesnod:

Ok, now I found you... Where will you fly? Conroe?

Last edited:

I was 48 when I got my PPL. Took me 28 days start to finish including taking the written test.

What are you waiting for?:dunno:

Last edited:
Started two weeks before my 50th birthday. 16 hours in, My ONLY regret is that I didn't discover the possibility earlier. If you loved it, you're not going to be able to suppress the urge. Even if you talk yourself out of it now, it will come back years later and you'll share my regret. If you can, go for it now.

:yeahthat:

Last edited:
Advice? I did it at 39 (which I still am!). Here is some advice:

1) Don't put time limits on yourself. It takes as long as it takes. Have fun learning.

2) Don't compare yourself to the 19 year old 8 hour solos. You have superior judgement anyway!

3) Find a cranky old guy to teach you if possible

4) Fly at least twice a week while training. Might have to schedule 3+ times per week if the weather gets unpredictable or if there are aircraft maintenance issues. If you fly less often, your ticket will cost more.

5) If you can, try to take time off / flex work schedule when the weather looks like it might be good. Be prepared to cancel a lot for weather.

6) There is no six.

7) Stick with the same type of aircraft you are training in until your test. The next bigger aircraft might seem like fun, but it might throw you off for your practical.

8) Welcome to the club!

Completely agree with all of the above...except maybe 2. Us 19 year olds can be pretty smart when it comes to decisions too...

It's great to hear all of the responses along the lines of "don't rush, etc."

But I'll add my two cents, because that's what this forum is all about. :D

Try to learn as much as you can, however long it takes. Don't just try to meet the minimum requirements. Hold yourself to a high standard. You will invariably learn a whole lot more when you are turned loose with your ticket, but you don't want to learn the hard way. If you have really earned that certificate, you will be better off.
Remember who is working for who when dealing with instructors and flight schools, and make sure they remember. Just as you should be seeking understanding rather than just learning a bunch of tricks and book facts, they are being paid to make sure you are really understanding. If you ever get the feeling they are not willing or able to do that for you, find another teacher and/or school. Just as it's never too late to learn to fly, it's never too late in your training to look elsewhere.
Good luck, and have fun!!!

Go for it. I started at age 32, so I was a spring chicken compared to you.

Bob Gardner

Bob,
Thank you so much for your in-site. I am reading the ASA 11th Edition Complete Pilot Series now.
Mark

Last edited:
My first primary student was 65 when he started. He was a great student. Enjoy the journey!

P.S. Read up carefully on the current state of medical certification and know long before you set foot in an AME's office for your FAA medical, that you'll pass. Don't go in at all before you know.

P.S. Read up carefully on the current state of medical certification and know long before you set foot in an AME's office for your FAA medical, that you'll pass. Don't go in at all before you know.

:yeahthat:

As a matter of fact, I would start with Dr. Bruce Chien on this site. He knows EXACTLY what to do to minimize the stress associated with an initial medical. I found out about Dr. Bruce only after pursuing my medical, which, for me was quite an experience.

Back