Just shaking my head on this one.....

I saw this from another news site a friend linked me to. If I was him, I wouldn't even think of taking off on a highway like that. Wait the time and money and wait for the right tow truck. It can be done with patience and money.

There are bold pilots and there are old pilots, but there are NO old, bold pilots--

that site takes forever to load..Im stuck on the top banner 10 minutes later....someone care to paste the article?

Michael said:
that site takes forever to load..Im stuck on the top banner 10 minutes later....someone care to paste the article?

The pilot who made an emergency landing on a busy street near Baton Rouge Wednesday, crashed his plane while trying to take off from the same street Thursday afternoon. Television news crews captured the crash on videotape. The pilot was not injured.
The pilot, Michael Simon of Eunice, Louisiana and his wife made the emergency landing after running out of fuel on a trip from South Carolina to Baton Rouge. They were about three miles from the Baton Rouge Metro Airport when the pilot put his plane down on Plank Road in Baker, Louisiana. The couple was not injured in the emergency landing.

Late Wednesday, workers attempted to put the plane on a flatbed truck and haul it to the airport but the plane was too big. The pilot decided Thursday to try to take off from the same roadway. His plane first hit the mirror of an 18-wheeler and then hit a fire department emergency vehicle. The impact with the fire department truck caused part of the plane's wing to fall off. The plane then headed into a wooded area.

...quoted directly from website above

Watch the video... what a nimrod.

Now, I ordinarily refrain from commenting on the missteps of other pilots, but since this whole thing began with a fuel exhaustion emergency landing, you would *think* he'd count his blessings for having landed off-airport successfully, and use the occurrence as a reminder to step back, re-assess priorities and impose some higher standards.

But no.

And now, what appears to have been a very nice 210, is scrap metal.

At least it was his airplane he wrecked.

Late Wednesday, workers attempted to put the plane on a flatbed truck and haul it to the airport but the plane was too big.

Sadly enough, I guess it will fit now. :(

Carol H said:
Sadly enough, I guess it will fit now. :(

The story I read said he was displeased with the small size of the truck sent to transport the plane and concerned that the plane might get "scratched" during the loading. A larger truck was enroute but the pilot became impatient and decided to try taking off from the street. The local authorities OK'd this (why I don't know) but the pilot with an apparent ramping up of his impatience started the takeoff before the street could be cleared of parked vehicles. He's probably not as concerned about a scratch or two now, nor is he likely to be in as much of a hurry.

And while this is his airplane, remember that if his insurance covers the blunder, we will all pay in the end.

Owner Name : SIMON MICHAEL
Owner Address : 531 W LAUREL AVE
EUNICE, LA, 70535-4103
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 09-Jan-2004
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

Here's an old & bold pilot! I'm thinking his ins will not be paying on this.

I too would not be surprised if he sues. I suppose it would be considered immaterial that his careless and reckless behavior put him there in the first place.

This gives me an idea for a fly-in. We could identify these knotheads and fly in to give him a good pounding.

Richard said:
Owner Name : SIMON MICHAEL
Owner Address : 531 W LAUREL AVE
EUNICE, LA, 70535-4103
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 09-Jan-2004
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

Here's an old & bold pilot! I'm thinking his ins will not be paying on this.

Some pilots have no respect for Darwinian Principles...

Dave Krall CFII said:
And, they didn't scratch his plane while putting it on the too-small truck. Success !

The recently shortend wingspan made the job easier.

Back