Display Name

Display name:
Scooter
I just moved to the Boston area (Wakefield...about 10 miles north of Boston),
and am looking for suggestions on where to either:

a) Join a flying club
or
b) Rent

Simple 172's or equivalent are fine for my recreational flying.

I am also interested in helicopter training.

The three closest airports that would be suitable (in no particular order):
Beverly KBVY
Lawrence KLWM
Hanscom KBED

Anyone recommend clubs and/or schools at any of these airports?

Thanks.

East coast aero club is a well run outfit. KBED is not really my kind of airport. Check out Hampton airfield the drive probably isn't too bad.

i have been flying in kbed. the airport is alright except that you need to get finger printed, background checked, etc so you can step foot on the ramp (the pnly airport i have ever seen that does this). the rental prices are fair and they have the usual suspects available. it seems that theres more demand than supply so scheduling can be a hassle. be prepared to return to base before your two hour block is done (if you are not training the airplane is only good to bore holes in the blue skies). at the speed of a 172 you are better off driving to your weekend getaway at the vineyard. I have one more year in boston. afterwards, i am out of here. never to return.

Give LWM a look, both fixed wing and helicopter schools . Also more choices and not a mass port airport.

Noble Airventures at Minuteman (6B6) in Stow for airplanes. They recently began renting a DA40. I believe there's a helicopter school at the field too. There's also a helicopter school at Marlboro (9B1).

East coast aero club is a well run outfit. KBED is not really my kind of airport.

I flight instruct at East Coast as a weekend/evening hobby. Certainly, MassPort could be more customer friendly. That said, you won't find a greater selection of aircraft or a more highly-qualified instructor base than East Coast. You also won't find a cheaper helo anywhere else.

Feel free to PM me if you want an airplane checkout.

Back