Just lost 5 hours to atc-sim

I was at Chi-TRACON last week for a few hours visiting with the controllers. I spoke with the flight data guys for a while to really understand their process with processing us flibs in the IFR world. I also spent about an hour and a half with one of the sector controllers getting to know when and where they are routing stuff in the local area and at what altitudes, etc.

It was a good afternoon.

I did snap this picture of a poster of who the fixes int eh area are named after, you might enjoy it.

Attachments

• img029.jpg
    img029.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 96
  • img031.jpg
    img031.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 70
I am a Tower controller for JFK on VATSIM (Virtual Air Traffic Simulation).

I spent 6 hours of friday evening controlling, it gets really fun. Especially on VATSIM when the planes are being piloted by real people.

If you havent tried it, either as pilot or as a controller, I highly recommend it.

Wow, this is freaky. One of the main purposes for me logging on to PoA this morning was to try to find the link to that ATC sim site. Wow.

I can't even count the number of hours I've wasted on atc-sim. But I don't know how much I'll be using it from now on after I found this: http://www.acc.umu.se/~simsoft/download.php. It's like atc-sim, but better. You're actually just TRACON (not both tower and TRACON), it has a zoomable (and customizable) map, and works with both text-to-speach (the "pilots" talk to you) and speach-recognition (you can control it using actual voice comands!).

Yeah, it gets addicting. I wish the planes would quit eventually.

Of course, there's always Flight Control on the iPhone. My high score is 106. :D

I can't even count the number of hours I've wasted on atc-sim. But I don't know how much I'll be using it from now on after I found this: http://www.acc.umu.se/~simsoft/download.php. It's like atc-sim, but better. You're actually just TRACON (not both tower and TRACON), it has a zoomable (and customizable) map, and works with both text-to-speach (the "pilots" talk to you) and speach-recognition (you can control it using actual voice comands!).

I couldn't get it to install on XP Home. :( Too bad, because I really need somewhere else to waste my time.:nono:

I couldn't get it to install on XP Home. :( Too bad, because I really need somewhere else to waste my time.:nono:

Strange. I have it on both my XP laptop and Vista desktop. :dunno: Try again, it's worth it :D

Evil... EVIL!! I wish I'd never found ATC-Sim.

But an easy way out is to just start vectoring arrivals off the screen, then clean your plate. It's a little more dignified than just quitting, and leaves you with a sense of closure. :D

UGH. Thanks Jesse!! Against my better judgement, I saw this thread yesterday and thought "Hmm, I have about 5 minutes before i go pick up the kids at school. I'll just check it out."

you can probably figure out the rest of the story....:redface:

UGH. Thanks Jesse!! Against my better judgement, I saw this thread yesterday and thought "Hmm, I have about 5 minutes before i go pick up the kids at school. I'll just check it out."

you can probably figure out the rest of the story....:redface:

kids spent the night at school?

Back