Just in case you didn't know

Tom- just make it easy and remind us to just read the label before putting something in our planes.

Tom- just make it easy and remind us to just read the label before putting something in our planes.

Do you think the new oil will harm any of the engines we have been flying for years?

Do you think the new oil will harm any of the engines we have been flying for years?
You mean AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4?

I can't say yet- not enough data for me to make a guess. It appears to be a 10W-40 type oil with anti-scuff, anti-corrosive and anti-wear additives ( http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation/products/lubricants/piston_engine_oils/sports_plus4/ )

I'm guessing a shorter chain molecule for "shear resistance"
They don't have a MSDS available for this but they make it clear it's for Rotax and similar engines (protection from law suits?).

This stuff has been around since 2008 as far as I can determine, so I'm a little surprised there's no MSDS- I wonder how they are getting around the "right to know" laws that exist in some states.

You mean AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4?

I can't say yet- not enough data for me to make a guess. It appears to be a 10W-40 type oil with anti-scuff, anti-corrosive and anti-wear additives ( http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation/products/lubricants/piston_engine_oils/sports_plus4/ )

I'm guessing a shorter chain molecule for "shear resistance"
They don't have a MSDS available for this but they make it clear it's for Rotax and similar engines (protection from law suits?).

This stuff has been around since 2008 as far as I can determine, so I'm a little surprised there's no MSDS- I wonder how they are getting around the "right to know" laws that exist in some states.

It's also not an AD oil, it's regular old automotive oil with all the sulfur additives.

Knowing that, will it harm your Lycoming/Continetal/Franklin air-cooled engines?

Tom, do you think that use of a modern automotive oil with all the additives would be likely to actually improve engine life on, say, an O-200? (experimental aircraft, of course)

Tom, do you think that use of a modern automotive oil with all the additives would be likely to actually improve engine life on, say, an O-200? (experimental aircraft, of course)
There really isn't enough data to make a decision. the operators that run aircraft engines are the fruit growers on their wind machines and the airsled operators, none keep really good records.

My thoughts, starting with a fresh clean engine I doubt any thing will happen, changing to a automotive oil with a high detergent package of additives might cause problems during the clean up period, and of course I'd never put it in any engine that does not have a good filtration system installed.

It's also not an AD oil, it's regular old automotive oil with all the sulfur additives.

Knowing that, will it harm your Lycoming/Continetal/Franklin air-cooled engines?
How do you know it has any sulfur additives?

How do you know it has any sulfur additives?

That is the additive used in auto oils, this new stuff? Maybe not.

this is the warning that Shell gives

"DO NOT use AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 in engines that are designed to use ashless dispersant aviation piston engine oils such as AeroShell W Oils. This includes aircooled Teledyne Continental Motors, Textron Lycoming and Jabiru engines"

So I made the assumption that it is NOT an AD oil.

Last edited:
Back