Just got a message... crash at CCR

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
My friend just texted me, apparently she just witnessed a crash at my home airport, CCR. She said she'd call me as soon as she can and tell me more. As far as she knows, no one dead. She tried sending me a video she took on her phone but all I could see was smoke.

Thank you.

Just spoke to her. So apparently the plane had the engine failure at 500 ft, declared, and turned back to the airport. It was headed to land between the north hangars - and aimed literally straight at my friend, who was sitting in the RV6 in front of the hangar. They noticed her very close to the grounds, banked real hard and crashed into the grass instead. She works at the trauma unit in John Muir; ran over and was holding the passenger's C-spine until the ambulance arrived. Said it was pretty incredible to see that plane aimed right at her without any time to do anything other than hope it doesn't hit.

Yup it was a Navion. 2 minor injuries but it doesn't look like anything serious.

Thank you.

Just spoke to her. So apparently the plane had the engine failure at 500 ft, declared, and turned back to the airport. It was headed to land between the north hangars - and aimed literally straight at my friend, who was sitting in the RV6 in front of the hangar. They noticed her very close to the grounds, banked real hard and crashed into the grass instead. She works at the trauma unit in John Muir; ran over and was holding the passenger's C-spine until the ambulance arrived. Said it was pretty incredible to see that plane aimed right at her without any time to do anything other than hope it doesn't hit.

What's a "C-spine"?

Cervical Spine.

Where the EMTs put the big plastic horse collar around your neck if you've been subjected to inappropriate G-loads. :)

She manually stabilized that area and kept the patient from moving it until the big plastic collar could be put on.

Then they shoot X-Rays and if things are okay they take it off.

Glad they lived!

I'd be interested to hear the pilot's thought on why he attempted the "impossible turn".

Maybe because the area around the airport is heavily built up. And crashing into a building or a neighborhood would probably have exacerbated pressure to close the airport.

Last edited:
Richard, that's not the case. It's my home airport - the runway they took off from points at a marsh, and it was drilled well into me that if something goes wrong at low alt, just land in the soft marsh.

I have more detail now: the plane itself had a reputation of sorts of being poorly maintained. The left wheel apparently detached itself and fell to the ground 100ft or so before the impact point, which my friend saw happen and kept asking "how could this be?" (she's a student pilot and it shook her a bit; she's the one who took the photos I posted from our trip over the Sierras a week and a half ago). Both pilots were old, she thought at least 75.

Richard, that's not the case. It's my home airport - the runway they took off from points at a marsh, and it was drilled well into me that if something goes wrong at low alt, just land in the soft marsh.

I stand corrected.

I have more detail now: the plane itself had a reputation of sorts of being poorly maintained. The left wheel apparently detached itself and fell to the ground 100ft or so before the impact point

facepalm.jpg

I recognize the airplane, I am pretty sure it has terrorized me at LVK several times going to Beebs.

Back