Just Double Checking

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Especially for Eastern-Shore-ers of Maryland: Taking off from Ridgely, may I maintain VFR and pick up an IFR clearance for a flightplan I already filed from approach? I am 99% sure the answer is yes, but I need to double check. At Easton, I can always get Potomac clearance on the ground.

Thanks!

As near as I can tell, sure. It's outside the ADIZ, so as long as you maintain VFR and don't exceed the 230 KIAS speed limit inside the 60 NM ring, you can do whatever you want.

As near as I can tell, sure. It's outside the ADIZ, so as long as you maintain VFR and don't exceed the 230 KIAS speed limit inside the 60 NM ring, you can do whatever you want.

haha, if i exceed 230 KIAS in that C172 I'm flying tomorrow, I will have more to deal with than a violation!

Especially for Eastern-Shore-ers of Maryland: Taking off from Ridgely, may I maintain VFR and pick up an IFR clearance for a flightplan I already filed from approach? I am 99% sure the answer is yes, but I need to double check. At Easton, I can always get Potomac clearance on the ground.

Yes you may, but whether or not Potomac Approach will be able to give you a clearance on the air is another matter. That sector can get saturated pretty easily when BWI is doing a push. When that happens they give you an "unable" instead of a clearance. Potomac has several clearance delivery lines which you can call from your cell before departure. The number for that area is (866) 429-5882. I haven't had significant problems getting through to them for a couple of years now (it was rough right after the ADIZ went in.) RJD is close enough to town that I'd expect reasonable cell coverage at the airport.

As an aside: A couple of days ago I was flying into W29, which recently escaped from the ADIZ. When I cancelled IFR about 10 miles out the controller told me I could squawk VFR, but he'd understand if I wanted to keep my code to the ground. I thanked him - that ADIZ imprinting is hard to shake. :)

Regards,
Joe

Back