Just a little fast on final

Landing on a grass strip at 390kts?
I think there is something wrong here.

Well that settles the high/low wing debate. Name 1 low wing SEL prop that takes a grass landing at 390 knots. :p

Well that settles the high/low wing debate. Name 1 low wing SEL prop that takes a grass landing at 390 knots. :p

I can't even think of a single jet that lands on a paved runway at 390kts (well...maybe SR-71). I there is a type there somewhere.
Perhaps they meant 90kts?

Last edited:
I used to have a 10000hp C150 it landed at 600 mph!!!! :hairraise:

Oh wait I have big fingers that should read 100hp at 60 mph:D

If indeed they landed at 390kts I would say they did a damn good job!

lol

single engine piston at 390kts? where can I buy one?

LOL!!

The airport identifier where this happened is 39ok. Who ever typed on the identifier probably thought the person meant it was their speed. 39Ok becomes 390 knots.

It's a Grumman Tiger. Ron will be along shortly to confirm.

Not Ron, but if it were me, I'd add a little safety margin to that speed in a Tiger. You don't want to stall the engine, you know.

I can't even think of a single jet that lands on a paved runway at 390kts (well...maybe SR-71). I there is a type there somewhere.
Even the Israeli F-15 that landed without a wing did that under 300k.

I can't even think of a single jet that lands on a paved runway at 390kts (well...maybe SR-71).

I bet the SR71 lands way slower than that. The shuttle and X-15 lands around 200mph and has nowhere near the lift the SR71 does.

Not Ron, but if it were me, I'd add a little safety margin to that speed in a Tiger. You don't want to stall the engine, you know.

Anthony, our Tiger cult bylaws forbid you from releasing this top secret info regarding Grumman Tigers ... and yes I do the same landing as you above:lol: I do hold off hanging my elbow out with the canopy open until below 200 knots.

LOL!!

The airport identifier where this happened is 39ok. Who ever typed on the identifier probably thought the person meant it was their speed. 39Ok becomes 390 knots.

That's another one of those only a POAer would notice...

<---<^>--->

Does the fact that the incident occurred in 1989 make it even more newsworthy?

Anthony, our Tiger cult bylaws forbid you from releasing this top secret info regarding Grumman Tigers ... and yes I do the same landing as you above:lol: I do hold off hanging my elbow out with the canopy open until below 200 knots.

Sorry. I forget myself sometimes. :D

Back