Jury awards $11.35 Million over negligence

So the answer is the jury screwed up. It IS the owners responsibility. This should be easy for them to appeal except for the fact that the insurance company has little incentive to fight.
I'm inclined to believe the juries rule like robin hood. Take the money from the rich, not because it is right, but because they can.
I'm not sure I'd want a jury of my peers. I wouldn't want to be thought of as a dolt.

So the answer is the jury screwed up.

Juries determine facts, judges rule on law. Isn't it the judge's responsibility? Why judges allow over the top awards is beyond me.

This should be easy for them to appeal except for the fact that the insurance company has little incentive to fight.
I'm inclined to believe the juries rule like robin hood. Take the money from the rich, not because it is right, but because they can.
I'm not sure I'd want a jury of my peers. I wouldn't want to be thought of as a dolt.

Especially in urban areas, with a poorer populace, this is just considered another form of wealth re-distribution to make things "fair". :rolleyes:

It's why if you are a medical malpractice attorney you want your case to be tried in Philly (within city limits), not out in the burbs, although the burbs are getting more liberal/urban.

I contacted a legal group last year after a motorcycle vs car wreck. I listened to the guy and answered questions, no problem. However, I hung up the phone on the guy when he told me "Remember. We don't sue people. We sue insurance companies."
It's scary that people think that way.
I know someone who was in a car accident, and had continuing pain. He went to see a lawyer to be on the safe side, and the lawyer referred him to a physical therapy company in the same building.

At his first appointment, they rubbed his neck for five minutes and billed the insurance company for several hundred dollars.

My friend got a new lawyer...and genuine physical therapy.

I've been on two jury pools, and was impaneled once. It was something out of "Twelve Angry Men"...there were two holdouts (for innocent). One had general concerns about the case itself, which I could respect. Came out during deliberations that other person had a law degree, and he kept insisting that the evidence was inadmissable (without which, of course, the prosecution had no case). During jury selection, the prosecutor had asked if anyone had ever been *admitted* to the bar...and our holdout had never passed the bar exam. The DA had asked the wrong question.

Second case was domestic violence. There were 140 people in the jury pool, I was juror #136, and had been one person away from getting selected. Most of the dismissals were due to DV involving friends and family.

One weird aspect: the accused (young white male) had a female lawyer. Every time she addressed a prospective juror, she stood behind her client with her hands resting on his shoulders. Obviously trying to send a message that the man was not someone to be scared of, but it was just a tad...creepy.

Ron Wanttaja

I was only called once, a letter stating i was a full time student on an FAA approved school that mandated 100% attendance and i was off the hook.

I wouldnt mind serving but don't see it happening anytime soon. As the only mechanic here it would be a hardship if i was called away.

Medical malpractice cases have been looked at for years. Oftentimes it comes down to a jury hearing opposing views from "experts", and therefore dismissing both expert opinions because they understand neither, finally deciding the case because the plaintiff "deserves" some money, and it only the insurance company's money anyhow.

In spite of the near bankruptcy of the country in part because of the added expense of defensive medicine, these ridiculous awards continue to be handed down.

GA already suffered tremendously when all piston single production ceased in this country, and I wonder if this is a prelude to a wave of lawsuits against mechanics and shops.

Don't think that if this award is reversed or decreased on appeal that the danger goes away. Plaintiffs attorneys are truly like sharks, drawn to any sign of blood in the water. Witness those absurd tv commercials ("if you've ever used ABC call us, you may have a payday coming").

I've actually been waiting to serve on a jury. When the lawyer says, "Is it not true that you murdered your wife?" and the guy says "NO!!!!". Using logic, didn't he just confess?

No, it is not true = it's true. Case closed.

I've actually been waiting to serve on a jury. When the lawyer says, "Is it not true that you murdered your wife?" and the guy says "NO!!!!". Using logic, didn't he just confess?

No, it is not true = it's true. Case closed.

Lol remind me never to fly to upstate ny again..

<---<^>--->

Back