Judge dismisses case against pilot charged in fatal crash

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/W/WST_FLOATPLANE_DEATH_AKOL-?SITE=AKFAI&SECTION=HOME

I think I posted this case a few months ago.

A judge has dismissed criminal charges against the pilot of a plane that crashed into an icy Alaska lake, leading to the drowning death of a South Africa teenager. Superior Court Judge John Suddock said the state gave erroneous information and didn't adequately present its case to the grand jury, which indicted Anchorage pilot Kurt Stenehjem on manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide charges.
When the charges were filed last year, state and federal officials couldn't recall any previous criminal prosecution involving a fatal plane crash in a state heavily reliant on aviation.

I vaguely recall the story. What's the current issue with his license? Is it still suspended? He definitely needs a review at the very least considering how he was loaded. Operating without inspections is another issue. He's still not out of the woods with a civil suit by that evidence alone.

I vaguely recall the story. What's the current issue with his license? Is it still suspended? He definitely needs a review at the very least considering how he was loaded. Operating without inspections is another issue. He's still not out of the woods with a civil suit by that evidence alone.

FAA said:
Certificates
1 of 1

DOI:12/1/2005Certificate:PRIVATE PILOT

FOR INFORMATION ON THIS AIRMAN'S CERTIFICATE YOU MUST CONTACT THE AIRMEN CERTIFICATION BRANCH
TOLL FREE AT (866) 878-2498.

Oops, I'd say he is still revoked.

Back