JSUM/Skybound problems

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Anyone else encountered problems with JSUM recognizing a Skybound USB adaptor? I'm trying to update my GNS430W cards for the first time. Installed a new (2.1) JSUM with the JeppView software. Plug in my trusty Skybound - and keep getting the system bing as it loads and unloads. I've run through all 9 troubleshooting methods on Jepp tech support. I keep getting a "problem with detecting Skybound adapter" warning. I've uninstalled JSum, reinstalled. Waited to plug in USB adapter for 2 minutes. I've rebooted. Gone through the troubleshooting tree twice. Website claims the adapter will accept the new 16mb WAAS cards (it's one of the older, 3 way adapters).

Even tried installing JSUM on my laptop - same problem

Has anyone encountered/solved this problem? I'm going to call Jepp Support but I figured I'd reach out to some smart people too.:D

I have a Skybound, JSum 2.1, Win XP Home SP3, all operates well.

I went through this last month myself with my 430w setup when I updated the JSUM to 2.1.

Do you have the latest "Generation 2" USB Skybound adapter? This is a single piece adapter that plugs directly into the computer USB port, no cable (like the older adapter). If not you will have to uninstall version 2.1 and reinstall the previous version of JSUM as the new version will not recognize the older adapter. Jepp tech support can give you the URL to download the previous version. I would give it to you here but I got it over the phone from the tech and didn't capture it on my computer. You can trade in your old adapter for the G2, also. The tech should offer to transfer you to retail sales to make the arrangements for the trade-in.

According to a couple of avionics shops I've talked to since they indicated the new adapter accomodates more data cards than the older versions so they don't have to maintain several different adapters anymore.

It would have been nice if Jepp had sent their subscribers a heads up on this minor issue.

Anyone else encountered problems with JSUM recognizing a Skybound USB adaptor? ...

Last edited:
I had exactly the same problem with the same hardware. It was a while back but if I remember correctly I had to call Jep and they directed me to a site where I could download the USB driver I needed. I do remember that the device is port specific, so once you've got it working on your computer don't move it to another port.

Go ahead and call Jep. They'll get you going pretty quickly. The whole thing is pretty fragile seems to me. Once I got it all working I made it a point not to touch anything.

I went through this last month myself with my 430w setup when I updated the JSUM to 2.1.

Do you have the latest "Generation 2" USB Skybound adapter? This is a single piece adapter that plugs directly into the computer USB port, no cable (like the older adapter). If not you will have to uninstall version 2.1 and reinstall the previous version of JSUM as the new version will not recognize the older adapter. Jepp tech support can give you the URL to download the previous version. I would give it to you here but I got it over the phone from the tech and didn't capture it on my computer. You can trade in your old adapter for the G2, also. The tech should offer to transfer you to retail sales to make the arrangements for the trade-in.

According to a couple of avionics shops I've talked to since they indicated the new adapter accomodates more data cards than the older versions so they don't have to maintain several different adapters anymore.

It would have been nice if Jepp had sent their subscribers a heads up on this minor issue.

That's it guys. Thanks. Why I had to go through this I don't know -- the tech guy knew exactly what the deal was. Seems pretty obvious to put that solution and link on the troubleshooting page. Apparently I qualify for a free G2 adapter, so I'll call for that tomorrow. Still, what a hassle.

Hmmm...

...mine is the Skybound with a cable. If you're saying it is not expected to work properly, perhaps I have been lucky.

I brought my data card home today to update, I'll report back with the result.

I've also been using the older adapter with JSUM 2.1 and 430W cards.

Hmmm, I guess I'll program the cards today in case I have to call in tomorrow.

Joe

OK, I just programmed my card, no issues.

It appears the problem is with Skybound II adapters, not the older plain Skybound adapters.

The new "G2" version is not much bigger than a flash drive.

It appears the problem is with Skybound II adapters, not the older plain Skybound adapters.

The new "G2" version is not much bigger than a flash drive.

Crazyness!!! Let me tell you why I have a Skybound II. When I had my Sundowner, I had a 430. I bought a Skybound from Jepp. Couldn't get it to work. Tech rep went right to the "you need a Skybound II" solution and, silly me, I hadn't searched the net before hand. Well, laid out the cash for the Skybound II (why, when I bought the first one, they didn't offer me a II I never bothered to ask) and, lo, it didn't work either. New tech rep explains, oh, do you have the new JSUM program? Without it nothing will work. :frown2:

So, now I have a II, because I wasn't told to upgrade to JSUM, said II which now only works with the OLDER version of JSUM, while older Skybounds work fine with the NEWER version of JSUM. Confused? I sure am.

well, all i can say is, i feel your pain....:rolleyes:

i checked with another skybound user (not II) and he's not having the problem we are/were.

at least i got full credit towards a new adapter when i sent in the old one.

Crazyness!!! Let me tell you why I have a Skybound II. When I had my Sundowner, I had a 430. I bought a Skybound from Jepp. Couldn't get it to work. Tech rep went right to the "you need a Skybound II" solution and, silly me, I hadn't searched the net before hand. Well, laid out the cash for the Skybound II (why, when I bought the first one, they didn't offer me a II I never bothered to ask) and, lo, it didn't work either. New tech rep explains, oh, do you have the new JSUM program? Without it nothing will work. :frown2:

So, now I have a II, because I wasn't told to upgrade to JSUM, said II which now only works with the OLDER version of JSUM, while older Skybounds work fine with the NEWER version of JSUM. Confused? I sure am.

I had this same problem. Jeppesen customer support was on the phone with me for about 45 minutes. That was back in October. I tried to use my Skybound on 2 other computers. None worked. In December I called them again and said that I was flying with 2 month old data on my card.

They sent me the new single slot programmer 2nd day air at no cost. I didn't have to return my old Skybound programmer which I had had for 2 1/2 years.

I have the new G2 Skybound the blue one. I have a data card that is blank obtained from Spruce. the card is numbered 010-10032-03. The card reads a a 1 megabyte card. I have the download and JSUM running on WIN XP.
The data card is not recognised in the program and SPRUCE tell me they have 20-30 complaints that the 8MB card only holds 1MB of data. in my case I cant even talk to the card so I am looking for solutions. I have notified Jeppsesen, Garmin, Spruce and the Pope.

I had the problem at first because jepp gave me the update program for the 430 not the 430W...if you plug a 430W card (16meg) into the program for the 430 (I believe its 6 or 8 meg) it won't recognize the card. They reset it to the 430W download, and everything worked okay after that

well, all i can say is, i feel your pain....:rolleyes:

i checked with another skybound user (not II) and he's not having the problem we are/were.

at least i got full credit towards a new adapter when i sent in the old one.

I think I have it.

I have a new G2 Skybound so I need a OLD version of JSUM?

Spruce just told me they have had at least several complaints about the blank navdata cards they sold when used in g2 SKYBOUND.

I have card number 010-10032-03 from GARMIN. 8 megabytes.

I have the BLUE skybound G2 USB adaptor.

My history file tells me that the card is 1 MEGABYTE (Its is 8).

Jeppesen said "You need at least a 2MB card we will SELL you a new one."

ANyone have a similar experience and offer any advise (polite).

I use XP service pack 3.

I tried putting JSUM on my VISTA PC but as you can only download the data to your hard drive but once, it was no good copying over the BIN file to the VISTA PC into the sub directory CACHE as Jepp and Agrmin tell me the data gets corrupted and you cant do it that way.

What I can do is wait until the next upgrade is due, and use the VISTA laptop to download the update and try a card read from that machine.:mad2:

Weird. I have 2 430W units in my 2008 Matrix. I tried to upgrade from a Jepp East/Central subscription to a E/C/West subscription.

The data cards I was provided in my brand-spanking-new G430W units were, acccording to JSUM, too small (i.e. 8mb instead of 16) to take the full upgrade. Need to get m refund. At any rate, I don't believe you get a bigger data card just for buying WAAS.

What version of JSUM do you have?

Mine was "updated" a couple of cycles ago. It is now v. 2.1.5.0 build 14012 .

fwiw, a 16mb navdata card came with my 430w back in 2007, which is larger than the previous non-WAAS data card. I have a USA 48 state navdata subscription. Maybe I got the larger one because of the full CONUS coverage?

Weird. I have 2 430W units in my 2008 Matrix. I tried to upgrade from a Jepp East/Central subscription to a E/C/West subscription.

The data cards I was provided in my brand-spanking-new G430W units were, acccording to JSUM, too small (i.e. 8mb instead of 16) to take the full upgrade. Need to get m refund. At any rate, I don't believe you get a bigger data card just for buying WAAS.

Maybe I got the larger one because of the full CONUS coverage?

Yes, that is correct. They "right size" the cards you get based on the initial subscription. That way, they can sell you more expensive proprietary cards if you choose to expand your coverage. Nice, aren't they?! :nonod:

Yes, considering what a 16mb card costs retail (< $1).

Another Jepp/Garmin cabal.

The obstacle/terrain data card from Garmin costs even more .

Yes, that is correct. They "right size" the cards you get based on the initial subscription. That way, they can sell you more expensive proprietary cards if you choose to expand your coverage. Nice, aren't they?! :nonod:

(disclaimer: I work for Jeppesen in Sales and Service)

Clarification on items read in this post:

• The "G2" (part# DSKYG241) is the very small blue adapter that sticks directly out from the USB port. This is the NEWEST reader Jeppesen has, this reader works with the most recent version of JSUM (Currently 2.1.5, but 2.2 w/64bit support posting 12/21/09)
  • The "SkyBound II" (part#'s DSKYUS41, DSKYFU41) are both "3in1" and "2in1" are both USB based readers are the OLDEST SUPPORTED readers. These sometimes need the "older" version of JSUM to be recognized on certain systems. If you are only updating Garmin 100/150/155/250/255/300/400/430/530 units then there is NO REASON TO KEEP THIS READER as Jeppesen will swap you to the newer G2 and all you pay is one way shipping.
  • The "Skybound USB" software is dead. Throw any disc you have with it away. All downloadable updates are delivered via JSUM.
  • Jeppesen buys the replacement Garmin data cards from Garmin for the same price they retail them for. We do not mark them up.
  • The 400/500 series WAAS cards are always 16MB and cannon be used in NON WAAS units. As of today, any database coverage area option can be programmed on these cards from the smallest to largest.
  • The 400/500 sereis NON WAAS cards range from 4-8MB and cannot be used in WAAS units. As of today, any database offered can be programmed to even the smallest 4MB card EXCEPT for the worldwide. For NON WAAS units you must have at least an 8MB card to program WorldWide data.
  • The terrain/obstacle updates for Garmin units are sold directly by Garmin, and yes, they require their own reader from Garmin and buying the updates seperately from Garmin.

Last edited:
Spruce just told me they have had at least several complaints about the blank navdata cards they sold when used in g2 SKYBOUND.

I have card number 010-10032-03 from GARMIN. 8 megabytes.

I have the BLUE skybound G2 USB adaptor.

My history file tells me that the card is 1 MEGABYTE (Its is 8).

Jeppesen said "You need at least a 2MB card we will SELL you a new one."

ANyone have a similar experience and offer any advise (polite).

I use XP service pack 3.

I tried putting JSUM on my VISTA PC but as you can only download the data to your hard drive but once, it was no good copying over the BIN file to the VISTA PC into the sub directory CACHE as Jepp and Agrmin tell me the data gets corrupted and you cant do it that way.

What I can do is wait until the next upgrade is due, and use the VISTA laptop to download the update and try a card read from that machine.:mad2:

Garmin doesn't even make a 1mb card for your unit to my knowlege, if all you want is the East and central database, call customer service back at 800-621-5377 and have them verify your download matches your unit type, and then either they, or tech support can walk you through the download. If that doens't work, PM me and I'll lend a hand.

EDIT: It's also possible you have a bad card, I had a quick discussion with one of our tech reps, and he says sometimes when the cards go bad they report the wrong MB size. If you want, Jeppesen has a 30 day return policy on the new garmin cards, buy a new card then test it with the download. If it works: you had a bad card, if it doesn't you could have a bad reader.

Last edited:

Do you have the latest "Generation 2" USB Skybound adapter? The tech should offer to transfer you to retail sales to make the arrangements for the trade-in.

Sorry if you didn't get the notice (alot of people throw them out like junk mail) but we mailed a notice to everyone who had an active subscription for a Garmin service when we introduced the G2.

Aaron thanks for posting about this.

I am a late comer to the Skybound thing having started with the G2. Like I posted earlier in this thread it has worked great for me. Plus I am not even using it on a Windows machine. I am using an Apple with VMFusion.

Aaron thanks for posting about this.

I am a late comer to the Skybound thing having started with the G2. Like I posted earlier in this thread it has worked great for me. Plus I am not even using it on a Windows machine. I am using an Apple with VMFusion.

I'm glad it worked for you. We've heard pretty positive feedback overall about it working in Virtual Machines. I even helped some Windows 64bit issues run a Windows 32bit virtual machine to do their updates before.

Is anything working for 64bit? I have the Skybound II, but can't write to it on my Win7 box. JSUM works and d/loads, but can't write/detect the hardware.

(disclaimer: I work for Jeppesen in Sales and Service)

Clarification on items read in this post:

• The "G2" (part# DSKYG241) is the very small blue adapter that sticks directly out from the USB port. This is the NEWEST reader Jeppesen has, this reader works with the most recent version of JSUM (Currently 2.1.5, but 2.2 w/64bit support posting 12/21/09)
  • The "SkyBound II" (part#'s DSKYUS41, DSKYFU41) are both "3in1" and "2in1" are both USB based readers are the OLDEST SUPPORTED readers. These sometimes need the "older" version of JSUM to be recognized on certain systems. If you are only updating Garmin 100/150/155/250/255/300/400/430/530 units then there is NO REASON TO KEEP THIS READER as Jeppesen will swap you to the newer G2 and all you pay is one way shipping.
  • The "Skybound USB" software is dead. Throw any disc you have with it away. All downloadable updates are delivered via JSUM.
  • Jeppesen buys the replacement Garmin data cards from Garmin for the same price they retail them for. We do not mark them up.

Is anything working for 64bit? I have the Skybound II, but can't write to it on my Win7 box. JSUM works and d/loads, but can't write/detect the hardware.
Ed,
I refer you to Aaron's earlier post. Sounds like you should order the newer G2 free, and the new software release on Monday!

BTW, Why are you sitting on Santa's lap? Aren't you a little old for that? :yikes::rofl: Just look at my avatar to see what it did to me!

I think I have the older Skybound part NDSKYUSB which seems to work fine on my Vista machine with JSUM 2.15.0.

Can I get that free G2, if not how much will it cost?

Thanks
Joe

Edit: I see you included my programmer in the other thread. Aaron, thank you very much for your input to our forum!

Last edited:
Aaron,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to respond. I, for one, appreciate it.
:thumbsup:

I think I have the older Skybound part NDSKYUSB which seems to work fine on my Vista machine with JSUM 2.15.0.

Can I get that free G2, if not how much will it cost?

Thanks
Joe

Edit: I see you included my programmer in the other thread. Aaron, thank you very much for your input to our forum!

Glad to be of any service, and yep, you get the free G2, just have to send in your old one.

Thank You Aaron! I called first thing this morning and mine is on the way!
I ask that they give me one time download so I could test the new one
before sending in the old 3 in 1. For about $7 - it's a good deal!

I suggest everyone have an extra card so you can just exchange them at
the Airport. That way if you ever have a problem - you have the last months
card to use for your flight.
:)

Having an extra card is great, very easy, but those cards can be pricey. 400/500 non waas cards are $140 from Jepp, and WAAS cards are $175.
Checkout ebay, they often have extras. Somebody could make a good business buying and reselling those cards since Jepp only does retail now.

As of December 24th om Jeppesen's site:

http://www.jeppesen.com/aviation/personal/jsum-download.jsp

NOTE: Skybound G2 adaptor is NOT SUPPORTED on 64-bit operating systems. Please install Jeppesen Services (JSUM) on 32-bit operating system if you need to use a Skybound G2 adapter. You can still use Jeppesen Services (JSUM) on 64-bit operating system to program Jeppesen data services that do not use Skybound hardware.

NOTE: Skybound USB adaptor is NOT SUPPORTED on 64-bit operating systems. Please install Jeppesen Services (JSUM) on 32-bit operating system if you need to use a Skybound USB adapter. You can still use Jeppesen Services (JSUM) on 64-bit operating system to program Jeppesen data services that do not use Skybound hardware.

Doesn't look like there's a 64 bit software to update my 430.

Is it even necessary to use these jepp adaptors? I just started to use JSUM, downloaded the NavData for the G1000, programmed the card through my HP printer SD card slot.

The response came back that it failed to program showing error "crc on file is wrong or can't calculate", but on manual verify, it says "DR000 Cycle 1001 service has been verified and is current".

I emailed Jepp, and they said that if it manually verifies, then it is correct and not to worry about the program fail message.

I haven't tried to upload to the G1000 yet. So, does it sound like it is programming properly with the HP printer SD card slot?

Is it even necessary to use these jepp adaptors? I just started to use JSUM, downloaded the NavData for the G1000, programmed the card through my HP printer SD card slot.

The response came back that it failed to program showing error "crc on file is wrong or can't calculate", but on manual verify, it says "DR000 Cycle 1001 service has been verified and is current".

I emailed Jepp, and they said that if it manually verifies, then it is correct and not to worry about the program fail message.

I haven't tried to upload to the G1000 yet. So, does it sound like it is programming properly with the HP printer SD card slot?

The G1000 uses a standard SD card reader writer, personally I wouldn't advise using one built into your printer, but any generic reader/writer will work. The only time you have to have the "Jepp Adapter" is for the more proprietary card types. ie: GNS 400/500

Why is that?

Probably because it doesn't work with JSUM. Even though it verified after a program fail, it did not upload to the G1000 properly. I just picked up a reader/writer at Radio Shack for under $20, and it now programs successfully. I still need to upload to the G1000.

Last edited:
Why is that?

My personal experience with card reader/writers built into printers is that they seem to only really function with cards for the purpose of reading and writing pictures.

I'm not saying that you absolutely couldn't use a reader/writer built into a printer, but with stand alone reader writers being as cheap as they are, I would advise to get a stand alone.

Back